Class module - full sample

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Class module - full sample

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Does anyone know of, or have, a good tutorial for creating classes (I'm using Excel)?

I know the basics but want to create an event for my class, and eventually to create an event wrapper for
the BeforeDoubleClick event. (This is from an example by C Pearson which I couldn't follow.)

Is it possible (using Excel) to create an object hierarchy?

Thanks in advance, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Class module - full sample

Post by HansV »

Here are some links:

How to create application-level event handlers in Excel
Creating a Custom Popup Menu

It is possible to use user-defined class objects within other user-defined class objects. I have attached a simple (and stupid) example. There is no interface, just code. To see it in action, run the macro Test and look at the Immediate window.
ClassSample.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. That's a nice straight-forward example. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Here are some links:

How to create application-level event handlers in Excel
Creating a Custom Popup Menu

It is possible to use user-defined class objects within other user-defined class objects. I have attached a simple (and stupid) example. There is no interface, just code. To see it in action, run the macro Test and look at the Immediate window.
ClassSample.xls
Your ClassSample establishes links between instances of the same class; boss and slave are both employees. I'm looking
to create a hierarchy between different classes. In particular, I'm creating cEmployee and cCustomer classes and trying to
assign a customer to an employee. Any advice? Could I attach my code or file? Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could create a cCustomerRelation class with members of type cEmployee and cCustomer.

But do you have a practical application in mind? It looks like you're trying to create a relational database-like structure. It might be a lot easier to create a database in Access or SQL Server - they have built-in support for relationships between tables.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I'm studying Classes within Excel. I want to create a class (object) that contains another class, presumably called a sub-class.
(Like a Range contains a Font, etc.)
The actual sample is immaterial at this stage.
Thanks, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The sample workbook I posted higher up in this thread shows how a class object can contain another class object. In this example, the Group object contains two instances of the Employee object, but it could have been an Employee object and a Customer object just as easily. You can also nest more levels.
Best wishes,
Hans