Sharing Violation

Nasser
StarLounger

Sharing Violation

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

I tried to save all my excel / VBA files to another directory. Now i keep receiving a couple of warning messages when opening my files from either new directory or old directory.
One time i close a file and it says:

1- Your changes could not be saved to "....." because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file ( which i dont want)
2- The document was saved successfully but excel cannot re-open it because of a sharin violation. Please close the document and try to open it.
3- ...XLsm is read-only. To save a copy, click ok then give the workbook a new name.

What mistake i am making?

Many Thanks
Nasser.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Sharing Violation

Post by HansV »

Have you added the new folder to your Trusted Locations?

It could be a problem with your anti-virus program - see if it has settings to allow .xlsm or specific folders.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi Hans,

My files were in D drive and i did copy/ paste them in C drive into a new location. Now from this new location i am opening them. Because i will be giving a CD-ROM to my students and asking them to put the files in C drive.
I have Sophos anti virus and I can not see such setting allowing .xlsm.

Regards,
Nasser.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could turn off Sophos temporaily to see if the problem disappears. Don't forget to turn it on again!

Also check the permissions on the new folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

Yes i found that sophos on-demand extensions. I can see 2 options:
1- scan all files
2- allow me to control exactly what is scanned

and the .xlsm is within the list.

Regards,
Nasser.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you turn off scanning for .xlsm files?
Best wishes,
Hans

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

I removed the .xlsm and now it is scanning but it will take a long time.
I moved those files from C drive back to D drive. Within the same forlder, 10 workbooks are doing ok and 2 has changed to "read-only "and 2 are giving the message while closing " the document was saved successfuly .......sharing violation ......try to open it.
I am wondering why those files has been changed to "read-only", I checked the protection and they are unprotected.

Regards,
Nasser

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you right-click one of those files in Windows Explorer and select Properties from the popup menu? Is the read-only check box ticked?
Best wishes,
Hans

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

Attributes: Read Only Hidden

No it is not ticked

Regards,
Nasser

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which version of Windows are you using?
Best wishes,
Hans

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

I have Windows XP.

I checked from the site and i read this from Microsoft:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program opens a file as read-only or returns a sharing violation or "access denied" message when opening from or saving to a network folder.
Symptoms:
If you open a network folder in Windows Explorer and then try to open a file from or save a file to that folder, the associated program may report a sharing violation, return an "access denied" message, or open the document as read-only. Typically, this problem occurs when you open a network folder and then double-click to open a Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel file. The document opens as read-only.
Cause:
This problem may occur when the Microsoft Windows XP Shell Column Handler reads the contents of the file in the network folder to obtain additional information, such as author or subject, at the same time that the associated program tries to open or save the file.
Resolution:
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What i am trying to do now is to open first the excel program and from excel open my files and it seems working. I have to check one by one and i let you know.

Regards,
Nasser.

Nasser
StarLounger

Post by Nasser »

Hi,

It looks ok now, thank you

Regards,
Nasser

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to hear that. Thanks for posting back!
Best wishes,
Hans