Lacking windows 7 with Excel 2010 64-bit experience.

Sam Jones
NewLounger

Lacking windows 7 with Excel 2010 64-bit experience.

Post by Sam Jones »

I bought Windows 7 because it offered 64-bit useability. Next, I bougt Office 2010, because excel 2010 offered 64-bit functionality. Truthfully, I don't remember whether they told me or whether I assumed that the 64-bit functions would allow me to develop very large spreadswheets without writing cumbersome 32-bit functions. However, to my surprize, excel does not provide 64-bit file i/o functions. I have to provide them for myself, but their instructions on how to do that is lacking clarity.

I need someone with 64-bit experience to show me how to change 32-bit functions into 64-bit functions. If someone could provide me with a working VBA codeded example, I would be extremely grateful. My coding experience is very rusty.

THANK YOU!

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Lacking windows 7 with Excel 2010 64-bit experience.

Post by StuartR »

Post moved from the Windows 7 forum to the VBA forum, because it seems that you need help with VBA programming.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

I suspect that most members of this board haven't really delved into 64-bit programming yet, so don't hold your breath. But hopefully someone will have an example or a suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Hi Sam,

First of all, it takes manual action to install the 64 bit version of Office. Out of the box, the default installer that runs when you put the CD in will install the 3 2bit version. And unless you need to manipulate very large spreadsheets, this is the best option. Many add-ins will have trouble working on 64 bit Excel.
Secondly, as far as I know 64 bit Excel offers no additional worksheet functions nor any extra VBA 64 bit functionality.
What kind of functions are you referring to?
It may very well be that you'll have to revert to a programming tool to do what you want, such as VB.NET (there is a free Express edition).
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Jan Karel, Sam Jones appears to refer to file I/O, so I guess he means instructions such as Input # and Print # (which are not specific to Excel).
Best wishes,
Hans

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Quite so Hans, well spotted. In that case I think VBA does not support that.
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com