Project Explorer - tree view

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Project Explorer - tree view

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
I have shot myself in the foot and lost the lovely "tree view" of the VBE Project Explorer Pane.
Right-clicking all over the place for five minutes has not brought it back.
If any of you have a Tree View to spare, might you :please: tell me where I can find it?
Thank You
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Project Explorer - tree view

Post by StuartR »

Does
View > Project Explorer
restore the window you have lost?
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 19:14
Does View > Project Explorer restore the window you have lost?
In a word, "no", but that is because I showed a poor example.
It is not the window I have lost - that comes in and out of view with "View > Project Explorer", as you have pointed out.

On one of my other machines I have lost the way that all components of a project are grouped into "Microsoft Word Objects", "Modules", and "References". And from time to time "Forms" and "Classes".
Untitled.png
This is what I see on my main machine; this is what I am used to and what I want on the other machine.
My Normal.dot has no forms and no classes, but all the code modules are grouped together under a heading.
"Tree Structure" was a poor term, but in my frustration I thought of it as a tree with the project, then the three divisions, then the modules of various types.

I lost this layout once before but recovered from it; today I can't see any sort of setting that toggles the view in and out of the module-type-grouping.
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

What happens if you right click on the project name in the Treeview and select "Toggle Folders"?
StuartR

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hello Chris, ( and Stuart )
In Excel things occasionally go out of whack in my VB Editor and I am buggered if I can ever find a way to get them back normally using any conventional method.
Usually the docking of windows getting corrupted has been to blame.
So far the sledgehammer approach explained Image has always put the VB Editor back to normal for me.
( In case that old post link does not work, or they insist on you logging in to either see it or to see the pics fully, and you don’t want to log in, I just put a copy of that post [Image for you )

( you might need to look at a slightly different path in the registry. Someone else said they found it here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\7.1\Common

This has more to do with loosing or not seeing a window, so may not be directly to do with your problem, but as it seems to reset something to do with those windows in the VB Editor, it might be worth a quick try, - maybe some resetting it does might kick back in what's got lost by you
Or maybe if you compare some other registry settings around that area for
_ your computers that are giving you what you want,
and the
_ computer that’s lost something
Then maybe that might reveal the problem

. - That probably sounds like uneducated Layman rubbish, but I am an uneducated Layman, .. on a good day.

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 07:24
( you might need to look at a slightly different path in the registry. Someone else said they found it here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\7.1\Common
Thank you, Alan.
Untitled.png
Is this the monster to which you refer?
If yes, then I shall backup the registry and give it a try.
Thanks
Chris

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

It looks like it, yes.
I am on Excel 2007 just now and that is the path I need, the VBA\6.0 one
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 07:09
What happens if you right click on the project name in the Treeview and select "Toggle Folders"?
Untitled.png
In a word "Nothing!"
I can left-click on the +/- signs to toggle, I can click on the folders to toggle, or I can double-click on the folders to toggle.
But right now (on my fated machine) I do not see Folders, because the modules are not grouped by folders. That is, there are no folders to toggle.

"The Project Explorer displays a hierarchical list of the projects"; there we go. I should probably have used the term "hierarchical list"!

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 08:27
It looks like it, yes.
Untitled.png
Nope! Sorry.
I rebooted the machine, checked that there was still no hierarchical list, deleted the box (leaving only the "0000"), quit all applications, rebooted, checked again, and made the snapshot you see above.
I expected to see TWO yellow folders grouping those items shown by my purple lines.

This is not life-threatening; I can survive, but I might dig deeper into the web. This loss has happened to me before, so it must have happened to others.
Thanks for the tip, anyway

Cheers
Chris

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Post by SpeakEasy »

Odd - Toggle Folders (as advised byStuartR) happily switches between both the views you describe for me - you must have done something really odd ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

SpeakEasy wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 16:31
Odd - Toggle Folders (as advised byStuartR) happily switches between both the views you describe for me - you must have done something really odd ...
Hi SpeakEasy, ,.
You noticed, I hope, that:-
(a) I do not have a Toggle Folder when I right-click and
(b) It is not a problem for me to toggle folders - I have been using double-click for years to do that.
It is the representation in what MSoft calls "hierarchical list" that has shifted.

Also I am using Word2003, and while I don't think VBE has changed in twenty+ years, it is possible that something between me and Word2003/VBA and Win7 and DLLs etc has become unhinged.

If this were mission-critical I would reinstall Office 2003 (and customize my set up for the 76th time!)

At the time of my initial post I thought that there would be an esoteric menu item that I had overlooked, the sort of thing where I slap my forehead again (but you guys never see me do that ...)

Cheers
Chris

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 10:23
StuartR wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 07:09
Untitled.png
In a word "Nothing!"
I can left-click on the +/- signs to toggle, I can click on the folders to toggle, or I can double-click on the folders to toggle.
But right now (on my fated machine) I do not see Folders, because the modules are not grouped by folders. That is, there are no folders to toggle.
The right-click menu in later Word versions is slightly different from the one in Word 2003. Only the later ones have the Toggle Folders command. However, they both have a Toggle Folders button on the little toolbar just below the Project pane's title bar. Click that to turn the folders on.
1.png

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 01:08
Untitled.png
Answer: I see what I didn't see in Stuart's earlier post in this thread; namely, the "Toggle Folders" button. I spotted it in your image, Jay.
It works on this, my main machine (Acer) and on my Toshiba and Dell machines (I just checked, excitedly)
Thank you Jay, Stuart, and Alan.
This would seem to be another slip-of-the-fingers by me.

The clue is "project name in the Treeview".
Untitled.png
That button is alkways there in (my) Word2003 (11.8169.8172 SP3); I don't need to r/c to toggle it; just a click.
But I need to make that click! :grin:

Cheers
Chris