Macro4 to VBA

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Macro4 to VBA

Post by ErikJan »

I have (large and complex) Macro4 code. Obviously I'd like to convert to VBA. Are there tools that help in the conversion.

I can program VBA, no problem, it would help if some tool could already do some of the 'simple' work and leave the complex stuff for me (80 / 20 :-))

HansV
Administrator

Re: Macro4 to VBA

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, there is no such tool. It's probably best to start from scratch without trying to closely follow the macro 'logic'.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ErikJan wrote:I have (large and complex) Macro4 code. Obviously I'd like to convert to VBA. Are there tools that help in the conversion.

I can program VBA, no problem, it would help if some tool could already do some of the 'simple' work and leave the complex stuff for me (80 / 20 :-))
I swear by ("Implementing software for non-numeric application") Poole and Waite's "STAGE2" transportable macro processor, if you can find a copy that runs on 64-bit Windows, please let me know! I have the source (in FORTRAN) but have not got around to compiling it.
Yet.
Cheers
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

If you ever get to that (and/or have some more info & background), let me know ;-)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ErikJan wrote:If you ever get to that (and/or have some more info & background), let me know ;-)
Hi ErikJan. I will do.
I got this close and fell apart on one line in the F4IO function. One of these days, in the middle of a blizzard, I'll take another shot.
STAGE2 is a very versatile tool, and I miss it.
Cheers
Chris

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

If I can help... (I'm not a Macro4 expert but I can follow it and I even did some Macro4 programming in the past). VBA is relatively easy for me (although I'm not @ the level of all you experts here in this forum ;-))

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Chris Greaves is providing expertise, the ideas, help and guidance in my attempt to find a way to convert Excel MACRO4 code to VBA. Chris explained his suggested path forward and has already provided some first working code. For us to extend the code and further test the concepts, we need more MACRO4 code to test.
Of course, old as we are :grin:, both of us could try to dig up our old MACRO4 knowledge and mix that with our remaining creativity to re-develop test MACRO4 code but maybe Eileen's Lounge could provide a more rewarding platform for our attempt to get some more MACRO4 code.
So, here's a call to readers out there to provide us with some simple and not-too-large pieces of MACRO4 code. Any contribution would be very much appreciated :thumbup:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I converted all my Excel4 Macros to VBA more than 20 years ago, so I don't have any for you... :sorry:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ErikJan wrote:Chris Greaves is providing expertise,
(sigh). Here I am, dragged kicking and screaming back into a thread. Man! How you guys WORK me (1) ...

I should add that I used to program/teach EXCEL4 and macro4 code, but have searched my 950GB super-backup drive in vain, using Everything to search for
(1) XLM files
(2) "EXCEL4" files
(3) WK4 files (OK, I now realise that that was Windows Lotus ...)

From my point of view, right now, any simple MACRO4 code that represents a reproducible task would be welcome.

As an example, I had Erik construct a dozen lines of Macro4 code that produced a restaurant bill, three items, a calculated tip, a calculated total, and some descriptive text.
That is, if you can predict what the resulting VBA should produce (even without telling us in advance), that would be a help too.

Thanks
Chris

(1) Lucia in H.E.Benson's "Mapp and Lucia" series, I think the first of the two BBV TV series.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I converted all my Excel4 Macros to VBA more than 20 years ago, so I don't have any for you... :sorry:
Hans, you're just saying that because, as usual, you Don't Want To Get Involved. :rofl: :laugh: :grin:

I appear to be in the same boat as both of you.
Despite my best efforts to backup everything and never throw anything away, I seem to have let my Macro4 code slip through the cracks.

Makes me wonder if Macro4 had some sort of bio-degradable self-destuct mechanism that Microsoft never told us about.
Is it time for a Poll on Conspiracy Theories? :innocent:
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In those days, I created backups on floppy disk. Those diskettes have long since become unreadable...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:In those days, I created backups on floppy disk. Those diskettes have long since become unreadable...
I remember them too.
They had one little square hole, which was what made them unreadable.
You need at least 960 little square holes to hold data.
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Hey!
Don't knock Blackburn!!

It was in Blackburn in 1956 that the Australian Immigration Office tested both me and my older sister and declared that ***I*** had the higher IQ.

If it wasn't for the Blackburn Immigration Office you guys wouldn't be blessed with such a mountain of arcane trivia aboput Australia.

(signed) "Ex-pat of uncountable countries")

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't dream of knocking Blackburn! I was just quoting...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I wouldn't dream of knocking Blackburn! I was just quoting...
Well,
OK,
Just be careful, is all I'm saying .... :cranky:

I just checked Wikipedia and could find no mention of my IQ being higher than my sister's IQ, so some of the lustre is wearing off ... :laugh:
Cheers
Chris