Collections vs. Arrays

Rudi
gamma jay

Collections vs. Arrays

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

In this post, Hans uses a variable declared as a New Collection to store (and then populate) a combo box control.
I have not seen this before and have usually used loops or Array variables to store multiple values.

Is this just another way to store multiple values for later use?
Is there any advantage to using a collection?
When would one use a collection over an array?

I'm just trying to get a feel for this new option.
TX :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Collections vs. Arrays

Post by HansV »

A collection resembles a one-dimensional array somewhat, but there are some differences:

- Each item has a unique key.
- Items can be added anywhere in the collection (inserting an item in the middle of an array requires work).
- Items can be deleted from the collection.

The UserForm_Initialize code of the frmFind userform in the thread you refer to uses a collection object to create a list of unique values from a range with many duplicates. The line

col.Add Item:=.Range("A" & r).Value, Key:=.Range("A" & r).Value

adds the value of a cell to the collection col, and uses that value as the key of the new item. If the same value has already been added, an error occurs and the value is not added again. There is no error message because of the line

On Error Resume Next

above the loop.
This is a fairly common use of a collection. Creating a list of unique items in an array would require nested loops: for each potential new item, you'd have to loop through the array to check whether it already occurs. So that is much more work.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Very nice...
I can see why/how that can be of use.

This is a very exciting find. TX for revealing this.

BTW: What is the significance of "New" (Obviously to create a New Collection). IOW: If I do not use New, what collection is used if I just say: Dim myC as Collection?
Also, does the collection get destroyed at End Sub, or must you clear it specifically to avoid hogging up memory (in larger projects)?
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A collection is an object. If you simply declare

Dim myC As Collection

the object myC is Nothing. You can't add anything to it. To initialize it, you can use

Set myC = New Collection

The line

Dim myC As New Collection

is shorthand for

Dim myC As Collection
Set myC = New Collection

When the code executes End Sub or Exit Sub, VBA will automatically destroy all non-static local variables, so it isn't necessary to use a line

Set myC = Nothing

above End Sub (although it doesn't hurt). If you wish to recover the memory used by a collection somewhere in the middle of a procedure, you can set it to Nothing there, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Excellent.
Appreciate the tuition...as usual!
:cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Is there any advantage to using a collection?
When would one use a collection over an array?
I wouldn't presume to improve on Hans's Collection :laugh: of tips-n-tricks, but I recall from my early days that I seemed to cause myself problems with collections when I was looping through them to delete (or move, or re-assign) them. deleting while looping forwards can cause short spells of head-scratching amazement, whereas looping backwards clears up many problems.

HTH; I may have mis-understood your use of the term "collections"; and right now I can't come up with a concrete example of what I'm talking about (still on first coffee ...

I think a good programming definition of a collection would be "A (possibly unordered) set of things which share a common type of characteristic". By which definition a set of MP3 files can be a collection, as can a set of Documents or a set of Integers.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I will have to experiment with collections when the opportunity presents itself. Hans has clarified the difference quite nicely with the example he set forth and it is clear to me that they are similar but distinctly different and each have their own advantages. Its now just a matter of identifying when to use which in the best situation. Similar to an IF block and a Select Case block...

I like options, as long as they don't confuse me. I have this one wrapped (for now)!
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Just to throw another idea on the pile, you may have worked with VBA collection objects before, without realizing it. Taking the Word object model as an example, built-in collections include the document's .Characters, .Words, .Paragraphs, .Sections, .InlineShapes, .Shapes and many others. Wherever you see an object type whose name is singular, and the same name as plural, the plural one is a collection. The "custom" Collection that Hans discussed generally works the same way as these built-in collections.

One specific advantage of a collection over an array is that the collection supports the For Each loop, which doesn't apply to the array.

A bit more about Chris's comment on deleting items from a collection in a loop: A loop requires a loop counter or index, and in each pass through the loop you use the index to identify which member of the collection you want to process. (In a For Each loop the index is hidden, but it's still used "behind the scenes".) If you delete the current item, VBA automatically reindexes all the items that follow it. Let's say you start with item 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, and 4 = D, and you delete item 2. Then you're left with 1 = A, 2 = C, and 3 = D. The next time around the loop, the index is 3, so it will never process the item whose value is C. The correct way, as Chris said, is to run the loop For index = Collection.Count To 1 Step -1, so any reindexing affects only items that have already been processed.

By the way, some but not all of the built-in collections seem to have special coding in the Delete method that makes the For Each loop operate "correctly" and not skip items. I've never tried to pin down exactly which ones do or don't skip.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Jay, thanks for your useful additions!

One small correction: arrays support For Each too. The following code will run without error:

Code: Select all

Sub Test()
    Dim a(1 To 2, 1 To 2) As String
    Dim v As Variant
    a(1, 1) = "a"
    a(2, 1) = "b"
    a(1, 2) = "c"
    a(2, 2) = "d"
    For Each v In a
        Debug.Print v
    Next v
End Sub
It will return

a
b
c
d
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Jay Freedman wrote:A loop requires a loop counter or index, and in each pass through the loop you use the index to identify which member of the collection you want to process. (In a For Each loop the index is hidden, but it's still used "behind the scenes".) If you delete the current item, VBA automatically reindexes all the items that follow it. Let's say you start with item 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, and 4 = D, and you delete item 2. Then you're left with 1 = A, 2 = C, and 3 = D. The next time around the loop, the index is 3, so it will never process the item whose value is C. The correct way, as Chris said, is to run the loop For index = Collection.Count To 1 Step -1, so any reindexing affects only items that have already been processed.
Thanks for those pointers of clarification. I have learned the value of looping from the bottom up when it comes to processing and deleting rows in Excel and your explanations make a sense in the context of looping an "invisible" collection of values too. Appreciate the tuition.

Many TX.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hans, your above example is very interesting as I see the For Each loop is looping through a string array.
I have always been under the impression that a For Each loop is designed for objects in a collection (only), and here you are using it with a string array...unless the array itself is seen as an object?? (Is my observation correct?)

TX
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, I don't think an array is a kind of object - it's seen as a kind of collection. Or, stated in another way, For Each ... Next has been implemented for arrays as well as for collections.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Noted... TX
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:One small correction: arrays support For Each too.
Somehow, in all the years since <mumble> that point has escaped my attention. The oldest reference I have available, the Office 2003 VBA help, does say "arrays and collections". Yes, I do learn something new almost every day!

Oddly, the reference page for the same topic in VB.Net (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 10%29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) mentions only collections. I've never done much in VB.Net, preferring C# and C++.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It mentions collections but it does show examples where it is looping through arrays of integers and strings...
Some very interesting code examples in this page. TX Jay!

Sample from the website above...

' Create lists of numbers and letters 
' by using array initializers. 
Dim numbers() As Integer = {1, 4, 7}
Dim letters() As String = {"a", "b", "c"}

' Iterate through the list by using nested loops. 
For Each number As Integer In numbers
    For Each letter As String In letters
        Debug.Write(number.ToString & letter & " ")
    Next 
Next
Debug.WriteLine("")
'Output: 1a 1b 1c 4a 4b 4c 7a 7b 7c 
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Rudi wrote:
Jay Freedman wrote:A loop requires a loop counter or index, and in each pass through the loop you use the index to identify which member of the collection you want to process. (In a For Each loop the index is hidden, but it's still used "behind the scenes".) If you delete the current item, VBA automatically reindexes all the items that follow it. Let's say you start with item 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, and 4 = D, and you delete item 2. Then you're left with 1 = A, 2 = C, and 3 = D. The next time around the loop, the index is 3, so it will never process the item whose value is C. The correct way, as Chris said, is to run the loop For index = Collection.Count To 1 Step -1, so any reindexing affects only items that have already been processed.
Thanks for those pointers of clarification. I have learned the value of looping from the bottom up when it comes to processing and deleting rows in Excel and your explanations make a sense in the context of looping an "invisible" collection of values too. Appreciate the tuition.

Many TX.
Rudi, read the following only if you don't mind being a bit confused by possibly irrelevant detail...

The For Each loop doesn't necessarily use a numeric index the way I described it, although the effect is the same.

A collection has an associated object called an enumerator, and the enumerator has a method called MoveNext. That method can be written (in this case by the developers at Microsoft who created VBA) in a general way or specially for each collection. When the For Each loop code calls the MoveNext method and passes in the current item, the return value is the "next" item -- whatever that means for the collection. It could be a numeric index, or the Key of an item, or a pointer to some object in memory. The special treatment for deletion of items in certain collections is done by writing a special MoveNext method.

There's some additional info in the Technical Implementation section of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 10%29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . That's in the reference for VB.Net, in which you could write your own enumerator for a custom collection.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Jay... I am a sponge when it comes to new knowledge. I love absorbing facts and useful info.
Your insights and info can only enlighten me more, esp. when it comes to this topic...

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

Another area where I use a collection is when I have to keep multiple instances of a class in memory.
For instance when I add controls to a userform during runtime and their events are to be handled by a class module.

To make that work, I instantiate a copy of that class for every control I add and then add that instance to a module-level collection in the userform.
Once it is time to close the userform, you simply set the collection to nothing to ensure all instances of the class are destroyed.

Clear as mud?
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have had VERY little exposure to class modules and can only theoretically comprehend your use of collections.
It certainly sounds like sound advice though.

TX JK
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:If the same value has already been added, an error occurs and the value is not added again. There is no error message because of the line

On Error Resume Next

above the loop.
It's probably just me, but I've always been disturbed at the idea of knowing an error is going to be thrown and pre-empting with a Resume Next.
I developed this technique when working with the (Document) Variables collection in Word. It allows you to Add a Name,Value item to the collection without throwing an error. It achieves this by checking for an already existing collection member, without having an error thrown. It is part of a class encapsulation, so not all the variable names will make sense.

Public Function Add(Name As String, Optional Value As String) As Boolean
'Adds a new docvar to the collection, optionally with a specified value;
'otherwise with a single space placeholder value.
'Does nothing if the docvar already exists. Used also by SetDV()

Dim var As Variable, num As Long
    With m_docRef
        For Each var In m_Vars
            If UCase(var.Name) = UCase(Name) Then _
                num = var.Index
                'Exists = True: Exit Function
        Next var

If num = 0 Then
            m_Vars.Add Name:=Name, Value:=Value
        Else
            m_Vars.Item(num) = Value
        End If

End With

Add = True

End Function
The "trick" is that the local variable num, initially zero, is set to the collection index if the variable Name already exists. There are then two choices, automatically taken care of, to either change the existing member to the passed (string) Value, or to Add a new member Name with the passed Value argument. It can also be used to avoid the error thrown trying to delete a non-existent member.

No error thrown throughout.

Alan