Report print issues

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Report print issues

Post by Leesha »

Hi,
I have a 27 page report that is filled with multiple subreports containig graphs, tables and calcuations. Due to all of the queries required in the report it takes a long time to open to print preview. The users can live with this. The issue is when they go to send it to the printer, all the queries seem to rerun and it takes forever, esp. if they are runnig mulipe copies. Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Re: Report print inssues

Post by HansV »

Reports are designed to always show up-to-date data, so when you print the report, it will read the data again. To avoid this, you could provide a button on a form that prints the report directly, by calling:

DoCmd.OpenReport ReportName:="...", View:=acViewNormal

And for multiple copies: some printers offer the option to print multiple copies from a single print command.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi Hans,

The users like preview the report before printing but I supposed I could give them both options! Sounds like a plan

Since I posted this, I've been trying to print the report, whch opens fine in print preview. No errors. When I go to print it I'm getting a font initialization error that omes up 5-6 times and then the report doesn't actually go to the printer. It's an annual report that I ran last year no problem. I've tried doing the repair database but that didn't help. I keep reading on the internet after googling that it may be due to SP3 which is on this computer. I don't recall if it was last year or not. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I found several suggestions that this problem can be caused by an overly large number of installed fonts (they don't have to be used by the report!)
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I originally went down that road but the only font is New Times Royal.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's not how many fonts the report uses, but how many fonts are installed in Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Leesha wrote:I originally went down that road but the only font is New Times Royal.
Leesha
The Font Xplorer freeware utility here is recommended by the Daily Telegraph (UK newspaper) technology correspondent as being very useful in managing (in your case deleting) fonts.

Hope this is of some help
Silverback