Connection string in a compiled Access App

kwvh
3StarLounger

Connection string in a compiled Access App

Post by kwvh »

I have been presented with a challenge and am not sure of the best approach. They want the Access mdb compiled into an mde (no problem). Will also be porting to Access 2010 in a few weeks as well, so accdb will be compiled to accde. But my challenge is they want the connection string to SQL Server database able to be edited by the IT professionals when necessary, and yet not accessable to the user. The connection string would include the user id and password as well as the data source.
I can put that info in a table, but a smart user would be able to find it. What would the best approach be to giving the IT folks what they want in a secure manner that prevents the user from getting to it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Connection string in a compiled Access App

Post by HansV »

Do you have a pressing reason for using .accdb/.accde format in Access 2010? If you stick with the .mdb/.mde format, you can use user-level security and take away permissions on the table containing the connection string from standard users.
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Hans,
Thanks for the rapid response.
Their spec is they want everything in .accdb/.accde so I am at their mercy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So tell them that as a consequence, they don't want to secure the connection string!
Best wishes,
Hans