Linking Excel and Access

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Linking Excel and Access

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Office 2010.

Is it correct that linking an Excel table from Access gives a non-updateable table in Access? It seems that way but I was used to editing the Excel data from Access in older Office versions.

Also, when linking to Access data from Excel it only allows me to select a table, although I could amend the command (SQL) statement I suppose? However, I can select data from different tables or queries if I use the (ancient) MS Query object. This seems a backward step?

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Linking Excel and Access

Post by HansV »

Some time ago, in 2005, Microsoft lost a lawsuit over the use of code that enabled a linked Excel table in Access to be updateable. Rather than paying the developer a fee or royalties, Microsoft removed the ability from Access.

In Excel 2007, I can still import/link Access queries. I don't know about Excel 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
When linking from Excel to Access it would have helped if there were some queries to link to! Doh!
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:When linking from Excel to Access it would have helped if there were some queries to link to!
That would make a slight difference... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans