Batching data into database via Word, Excel, etc

kwvh
3StarLounger

Batching data into database via Word, Excel, etc

Post by kwvh »

I am seeking suggestions on how do deal with getting information into a database. This may be something that someone has experienced in the past.

The scenario:

I am dealing with a database that allows users to enter information through the web. The data and web server reside on the customer's server. The challenge is that a couple of locations in South America do not have access to the internet. They are asking for a "document" that they can put on a laptop and fill out and then email when they get to a location that has internet connection.

1. What would be the best tool/document type?
2. I was contemplating taking the form and putting it into Excel, then importing the data from Excel one at a time. The additional challenge is that the web page has a couple of areas where the user can enter more than one linked records. For example, there may be multiple witnesses to an event, or there may be none. In Access that is easy, a linked table with one to many relationship handles it. How would I handle that in Excel, or other tool?

Thanks for your ideas.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Batching data into database via Word, Excel, etc

Post by HansV »

You could use an Access database - you'd be able to use forms, subforms etc. If the users don't have Access, they could install Access 2007 (or 2010) Runtime - it's free. Provide a command button that mails the data in csv or txt format.

With Excel it would become much trickier because of the linked table setup. But you could use Data Validation to reduce the probability of errors.

I'd avoid using Word for this.
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Thanks, Hans!

I have shied away from run times due to experiences in Access 97 days. However, this seems like an opportunity where that might be an option to consider. May I ask a few questions?
1. Is it possible to have an "executable", for lack of a better word, that the user could download from a web site?
2. Could that "executable" include a copy of the database?
3. Is an "executable" configurable to allow designating where the app would be loaded? Or better yet, configured to create an icon on the desktop pointing to database program?
4. Would the "executable" be indendent of the user's version of Office?

As mentioned, I don't have experience with runtimes since Office 97, so this will be a new ball of wax for me.

Thanks!

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can use an installer utility such as Inno Setup (free) to package everything into a single .exe, with all the features that you want and more.
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Awesome! I will download and try it now.

THANKS HANS!

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Hans,

Googled the Access 2010 Runtime and found that there "should" be an option to package and distribute a runtime. However, when I go to file menu it is not an option. I cannot find where I can configure my Access 2010 to include it.

Is there an additional application that should be loaded first?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Hans,

Thanks again for the link. My problem at present is that I do not have the options presented in link. In other words, Package and Distribute does not appear to be an option in my Access 2010. I have also downloaded and installed the runtime, thinking perhaps it would load into my Access.

Is there an option within Access 2010 that I can turn it on?

Thanks again for your help and ideas.

Respectfully,

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think it's the Package and Sign option, but I'm not sure - I don't have Access 2010 myself.

Otherwise, why not use Inno Setup?
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Hans,

The Inno Setup looks very powerful and I did download and install it. However, it doesn't have an intuitive wizard approach to creating the exe and script. for example, I couldn't figure out how to load the Run time AND the accdb file at the same time.

So my hope was to try to use the built in Access 2010 package wizard.

Package and sign appears to be a wizard to create certificates.

I'll revisit the Inno product and see what I can discover.

THANKS!

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

kwvh wrote:Thanks again for the link. My problem at present is that I do not have the options presented in link. In other words, Package and Distribute does not appear to be an option in my Access 2010. I have also downloaded and installed the runtime, thinking perhaps it would load into my Access.

Is there an option within Access 2010 that I can turn it on?
Ken
The packaging wizard has to be selected during the Office installation process. You should be able to go back and run Office Setup to change your installation to include that feature - be sure to select the Access Add-Ins options during that process.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

kwvh
3StarLounger

Re: Access 2010 Package Solution Wizard

Post by kwvh »

Finding the correct terms for which to search is a science unto itself. Once I had the correct terms I found the following:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/acces ... 94985.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently I had not loaded all the wizards during initial install.

Hans,
I will still continue to learn the Inno product as well.

THANKS!

Ken

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Wendell,

Thanks for the info. I found it about the same time you posted. I had always used "Run All from my computer" when loading versions of Office, but obviously forgot to do that when I installed 2010.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Respectfully,

Ken