Read MP3 file tags

Abraxus
3StarLounger

Read MP3 file tags

Post by Abraxus »

I have a lot of MP3 files on my PC due to ripping my CDs, but they aren't very organized.

I'd like to organize them into folders by Genre/Artist/Album. I'm lazy, however, and don't want to do all this manually.

I'd like to have some code (VBA) do it for me.

I've looked into it and I see code for reading the ID3V1 tag at the end of the file, but I've seen nothing about the ID3V2 tag, which is at the beginning of the file. I need to use V2 as it holds more accurate information.

Does anyone know how I can pull the Genre/Artist/Album from the ID3V2 tag for a given file? I can write the rest...

Thanks!

Morgan
Morgan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Read MP3 file tags

Post by HansV »

See for example vbAccelerator - Reading and Writing MP3 ID3v1 and ID3v2 Tags. You can download a zip file with the complete VB6 project, or view the code in the individual files. You'd be especially interested in cMP3ID3v2.cls.
Best wishes,
Hans

Abraxus
3StarLounger

Post by Abraxus »

Thanks!

I'll take a look.
Morgan

Abraxus
3StarLounger

Post by Abraxus »

Anyone know how to convert the VB6 project to VB 2010 Express?
Morgan

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. It is a major undertaking to convert VB6 to VB.Net. There are tools that can assist but they won't complete
the full task.
The VB6 code can be imported into an Access Module. It will require a number of changes but these will be
less challenging than converting to VB.Net.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.