Moving only Labels to form

bknight
BronzeLounger

Moving only Labels to form

Post by bknight »

I'm trying to design a new form. I let Access do the design, and then try make it a datasheet view form. To do this I believe I need the labels should be moved to the form header. But how is this accomplished? I have done this i the past but forgot how to do it. I'll show the current design and a previous design. The previous design used a table as record set and I redesigned the table adding a fieldbut hen I attempted to redesigned the form, the new field was not present in the drop down box? This led me to do a brand new fform, that has the new field.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Moving only Labels to form

Post by HansV »

There is no need to do that for a datasheet form.

It would be necessary for a continuous form. In that case:
Click on a label to select it.
Press Ctrl+X to cut it.
Click in the Form Header section.
Press Ctrl+V to paste it.
Move the label to the desired position.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

When I do that both the label and text box are cut. When ctrl V is applied to the header the label is moved but the text box is missing, that would work for the ID, but the rest of the fields I do wish to be in the output, with all the labels in the header. Look at the the other form, that I have present. I don't know how it was designed, but that is the final output result I desire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I mentioned: there is NO NEED to do this for a datasheet view.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

This is old form I'm trying to replicate. I had to resize the labels so everyone can see them, they are very short in the original design.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Using the advice in the other thread, I added the new field which appeared, I gues because I shut the form down then reopened. Anyway is the datasheet view i moved everything around and it works, thanks.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I was a bit premature in my last post. Here is the image of the design view, looks messy and I was unable to place RawP where it belongs. After opening the colums are positioned as I desired, however the form opens with out showing all the fields, I have to manually widen the form to display all.
I have attempted to set the auto resize to yes but that doesn't help. I have also tried in design view to move multiple fields to the right so I would be able to place RawP in line with the other fields, but they will not move. I tried moving one filed to the right, the last one and it would not move.
Any thought on adjusting this?

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Here is the property sheet of the form.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you open the form in datasheet view you can:
- Make columns narrower and wider (drag the right edge of a column header to the left or right).
- Move columns around (drag the entire column header to the left or right).
- Hide and unhide columns from the context menu of the column headers.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I have tried dragging one or multiple fields to the right, failure. I have tried inputting the left value of a field from 14.0083" to 15" and as soon as the mouse moves to the next control 14.0083" replaces the 15"

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

There may be some setting that is enable preventing changes.?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I learned something today.
From a design that looks like first image results in this datasheet view, as I wanted.
I had the belief that the design needed to resemble the datasheet view.
But, one small issue remains with this new design. When opening the Db with the former form opened in a Datasheet view, whereas this new one opens in Form view, even though the property sheet does not allow a form view. When selecting the views Form is greyed out, datasheet and design are active. Is there a way when the Db opens to force the form to open in datasheet view?
ETA:
Oh damn, I guess the Db needed t be shut down and reopened, because everything opens as expected.
Last edited by bknight on 20 May 2023, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

The properties sheet would not attach in previous post so here it is.
Not necessary everything opens as expected/desired.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't see the Property Sheet...
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

It was a flurry of activity once the for opened. The form opened in form view that was not allowed, but could be changed. That was a hassle and I opened and closed it several times, with the form view opening. Frustrated yet again, I started the second part of the post. I'm not using that machine today so I can't show the properties sheet. But as the edit indicates the form opens in datasheet view currently, after I closed the Db and reopened. I'm not sure why that is a requirement, but everything is as desired after adding the field to the table. The property sheet just indicated that the form view was set to no and the datasheet set to yes.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you also set the Default View to Datasheet?

S2399.png
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I'm not sure I'll check later today.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Yes, it is ans was.