Day and Time Backup Approach

burrina
4StarLounger

Day and Time Backup Approach

Post by burrina »

I'm having a lot of fun with this. The idea is allow the admin to select a day(s) and time(s) for a backup.My approach is to use a timer event with a real time clock and then call another function to see if it's time to backup. If it is, then I call another function to start the backup.
The backup is ONLY a copy of the database and no I wont be using windows task scheduler. This is purely an access feature.
What do you think of my approach?
1. Timer loads with db and calls 2nd function
2. 2nd function checks 3rd function if correct it backs up.

burrina
4StarLounger

Re: Day and Time Backup Approach

Post by burrina »

As a follow up question: If you are storing the days in 1 table would you then also store the time in that table or would it be better to store in a different table? tblBackup contains the days.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

burrina wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 11:07
As a follow up question: If you are storing the days in 1 table would you then also store the time in that table or would it be better to store in a different table? tblBackup contains the days.
It depends on the relationship between them.
If the backups happen at the same times regardless of which day they are, then you probably want times in a separate table.
If the backup times could be different on different days then it's probably best to store them together in one table
StuartR

burrina
4StarLounger

Post by burrina »

Thanks. That helped a lot. This has been and is a challenge for me to finish. But almost there.