Unbound Control problem in Access 2010

Mark L
3StarLounger

Unbound Control problem in Access 2010

Post by Mark L »

Just installed A2010, and have an immediate and critical problem.

This only happens with an unbound control that has a Default Value specified. Whether or not the form is bound doesn't seem to make a difference.

The problem is that I can't enter a Null value into this unbound control! I remove the current value, but as soon as I move off the control Access restores it with the Default Value. Even if I put another value in first and then try to remove that, it returns to the Default Value.

Anyone know of this? Anyone know a solution?
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unbound Control problem in Access 2010

Post by HansV »

Apparently this is a bug in Access 2010 - it's also mentioned in Cannot have Null if there is a Default Value in a control in A2010. MVP datAdrenaline suggests clearing the DefaultValue property in the After Update event of the control.
Best wishes,
Hans

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

HansV wrote:Apparently this is a bug in Access 2010 - it's also mentioned in Cannot have Null if there is a Default Value in a control in A2010. MVP datAdrenaline suggests clearing the DefaultValue property in the After Update event of the control.
I had done all sorts of search and hadn't found any other mention of this anywhere; but often this means I didn't enter the right combination of words to find it. But especially important is that I can't find any mention of this on the MSKB or anything else related to Microsoft to indicate they know about it.

Unfortunately, clearing the DefaultValue in the AfterUpdate event may work OK for a single control, but it is not really a practical solution when talking about a database-wide problem.

I recently posted this on the "Microsoft Answers" website. If I find out anything there I'll post it here.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft closely monitors the Utter Access forums, and since an Access MVP replied, I assume that Microsoft knows about the problem by now. Hopefully, it'll be corrected in an update, or perhaps in Office 2010 SP1.
Best wishes,
Hans