Unable to edit the Database .accdb

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Unable to edit the Database .accdb

Post by KarenYT »

I received 2 databases from my office and work on my home PC. The databases are saved in my PC after downloaded. Something strange that I couldn't understand -
Inbound DB - this database allows me to edit the database by modifying the criteria and design of the Forms, etc., then save and close the database.
Outbound DB - Yet this database does not allow me to edit (I wouldn't know until I try to close the database after the change, naturally it wouldn't close because the changes of the Form Design has not been saved).

I have compared with the Access Options of both databases and then made all the "checks" to be the same, the Outbound DB still does not allow me to do any changes.

Would you please help. Appreciate !
Best regards,
Karen

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unable to edit the Database .accdb

Post by HansV »

If you right-click the outbound database in File Explorer/Windows Explorer and select Properties from the context menu, is there an "Unblock" check box or button? If so, click it. Does that help?
Best wishes,
Hans

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

Yes, I saw the Lock icon and then I clicked the Unblock box at the bottom. I tried to change the Form Design, it still does not allow me to save the close the DB. One point, I could modify the design of a query even before I performed the Unblock check box.

Karen

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Two more things to try:

1) On the Database Tools tab of the ribbon, click Compact and Repair Database. Do you get an error message? If not, can you edit AND save now?

If that didn't help:

2) If the database is open, close it. Then start Access.
Press Ctrl+O to display the Open dialog.
Select the database.
Click the dropdown arrow on the right hand side of the Open button and select Open Exclusive from the dropdown menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

1) Compact and Repair Database has been done, no error message, still allow me to edit but not able to save. Thus, have to choose No to Save in order to close the DB.

2) Selected Open Exclusive from the dropdown, still the same result of 1) above. No luck for me, sorry.

Karen

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It looks like the outbound database has somehow become corrupted.

See if the following works:
- Create a blank new database.
- Import all database objects from the outbound database into the new one.
- Set the options in File > Options > Current Database just like in the old one.
- If necessary, open the Visual Basic Editor, select Tools > References... and set the non-default references that the database needs.
- Test the new database.
If it's OK, use the new database.
Best wishes,
Hans

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

I have created a new database to import all the objects.
Something strange that I couldn't import the Forms with the following error message: Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library.
Then after clicking OK, another message reads : No current record.

So do the above messages explain to you why the FORMS' design cannot be edit for SAVE ?

Thanks,
Karen

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try importing the forms one by one, and note which one causes the error message.
Best wishes,
Hans

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

2 types of 2 messages pop up.
(1) Some Forms have the following 2 messages occurred one after one :
a. Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library.
b. No Current Record. (b appears after OK to the msg a)
(2) Some Forms have the following 2 messages occurred one after one :
c. The Search key was not found in any record.
d. The Microsoft Access Database engine could not find the object [frmName]. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly. If [frmName] is not a local object, check your network connection or contact the server administrator. (d appears after OK to the msg c)

Also the above scenario applies to when importing the Reports too. It's the same as importing the Forms that some Reports carry the above-messages but carrying the [rptName] instead of the [frmName].

I don't know where to look up the errors ?

Karen

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm away from home at the moment. I'll see if I can find something, but it doesn't look good....
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think your best bet is to keep the tables and queries, and to discard all forms, reports and modules. Re-create the forms and reports that you need from scratch... :sorry:
Best wishes,
Hans

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

Hans, while checking again, I've found out all those Event Procedures pertaining to the Forms and Reports are with the Command but without contents, i.e. erased! Now, I couldn't think of how would that be happened for an User who might have done something accidentally to erase all those Visual Aids ?! Would that be the reasons for those messages "...no record...and/or...not found..." while importing the FORMS and REPORTS as there's nothing attached to the Event Procedures.

Just give you a little bit of background info about the file.
2 Files (DBs) were received via WeTransfer due to the size. I downloaded in my PC. The other One has no problem for me to work on and it has been fixed.
I hope this problem-one OutboundDB is not corrupted and unable to fix via "remote" as I have retired already and not working in the office, meaning, I am actually a retiree since 2019. This is just to help my Boss to fix the issues because those Databases were created by me through your help all the time when I was at work. Appreciate very much!
Once again, thank you for your support all the time that has made my life at work much much more easier :)

Thanks,
Karen

KarenYT
3StarLounger

Post by KarenYT »

HansV wrote:I think your best bet is to keep the tables and queries, and to discard all forms, reports and modules. Re-create the forms and reports that you need from scratch... :sorry:
Impossible to recreate the Form and Report. :sad:
Luckily I had the Backup-copy of 2018. :laugh:
Yet I still don't understand why I can't Save the Form or Report after Edit ? :scratch:

Thanks for your help, Hans !

Karen