Access 2010 Question

teachesms
2StarLounger

Access 2010 Question

Post by teachesms »

We are acquiring 66 new licenses for teaching Office 2010. I have noticed a couple things and if anyone knows where to point me, or can provide any answers, I would so appreciate any input. (Especially if it's in laymens terms)

1. I see that without knowing XML as in Access 2007, we can create our own ribbons in 2010.
2. Will we be able to place any new Ribbon we create into the "start up" options of Access 2010, and eliminate any we do not want visible?

I ask #2 because in Access 2003 we would:

a. Create our own main switchboard form from scratch
b. Place any macro buttons on it we needed that require passwords to enter further into the database to individual departmental forms (which had macro buttons to open that particular departments parameter queries and reports, and forms)
c. We used the bypasscode (VBA) to keep people from bypassing the startup options, and created an Autoexec macro to open the form we wanted people to use at startup to enter further to their deparments forms (this is the form they must enter passwords on to go further, eg. Finance Dept button, Admin Dept button, Sales Dept button mentioned in "b" above.).
d. We took the ability to right-click anything to get into "design view", by creating our own pop up menus and placing only what we wanted the user to access on that popup menu.

Only admin had this ability to access design view of anything by using a macro button to enter a password on the main startup form to either lock up the database on the way out, or to unlock by entering the password on the way out and hold shift while clicking the db icon on the way back in to do admin tasks).

Will Access 2010 giving us the ability to create our own ribbon allow these types of things in A - D above once again? I just feel that Access 2007 took all security away...at least the way we did it in 2003...and without knowing XML made it very difficult to keep each department out of the other departments part of the database. I know you can hide the navigation pane, I know you can use an Access-made switchboard which allows only a partial ribbon to appear in 2007 (but without XML you cannot modify that)...and in practice have locked myself out of a few databases toying with this.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks for the input...
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access 2010 Question

Post by HansV »

You can customize the built-in ribbon and create your own custom ribbon tab in Access 2010.
In File | Options, Current Database, you can specify a custom ribbon tab to be displayed in the "Ribbon and Toolbars" section.
Best wishes,
Hans