Break apart names in query

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Break apart names in query

Post by Leesha »

Hi,

I have a query that contains the first and last name in the same cell. This database was built ages ago and didn't separate out the first and last names into separate fields. I need to run a query that would take the [EmployeeName] and break it into [FirstName] and [LastName].

Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Re: Break apart names in query

Post by HansV »

If EmployeeName is always of the form "John Doe", you can use calculated columns:

FirstName: Left([EmployeeName],InStr([EmployeeName]," ")-1)

LastName: Mid([EmployeeName],InStr([EmployeeName]," ")+1)

But if there are names such as "Mary J. Evans" the middle initial will be seen as part of the last name.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

If you do have the situation Hans indicates, I often simply take the data out to Excel, and then use the separate data into columns feature to progressively push the names apart, and then bring it back into Access. The advantage of that approach is that you can visually see how the separation is working. It also lets you quickly fix the issue with last names that include spaces and other weird cases.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Thanks to both of you!!! Fortunately there are no middle initials in this short list of employees, but I'm sure as move on in this database to the list of students, I will find that issue!!

Leesha