The Ten Commandments of Access

Rudi
gamma jay

The Ten Commandments of Access

Post by Rudi »

This is a very entertaining and wise reflection of database truths. (Compliments for your humour Dev and Arvin) :laugh: :thumbup:
And it came to pass that the cries and lamentations of the Access newbies were heard on high by the gods of the Database, and their hearts were moved to pity for their followers. And they opened their mouths and spake, saying: "Nevermore shall the young and innocent wander witless on their journeys!

We shall provide guidance to them, yea, and to all who wish to seek the paths of wisdom." And they caused these commandments to be written and placed before the eyes of those seeking enlightenment.

So heed the words of those who have come before you, and keep these commandments in thine heart as thou dost create thy Database application. If thou shalt only follow these commandments thy burden shall be made light and thy path shall be made straight.
Read the 10 commandments here...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: The Ten Commandments of Access

Post by Wendell »

I attended the "AccessDay" in Denver last week and the organizer, Armen Stein did a presentation on a similar subject - you can see the highlights on his company website at 9 Signs that an Amateur Built Your Access Application.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: The Ten Commandments of Access

Post by Rudi »

Some very valid points...

I agree too with point #5: Reports or forms cause a parameter dialog box to pop up, but only if the parameter requested is a simple string or number. (Parameter boxes are of course the easy shortcut :grin: ) If the required input is a date or a more complex expression, then i would create a simple userform requesting the info in more explicit terms with checks for invalid input.

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.