Error on DB open

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Error on DB open

Post by Leesha »

Hi,
I have DB that is created in 2003 and is running in 2010. I've been very careful not to create new forms or reports using 2010, since all of the users are not in 2010 and the finances aren't there to upgrade everyone. The DB opens fine on the individual workstations, whether there are running 2003 or 2010. When I try to open it on a Terminal Server that staff remote into from home I get the error "you loaded a form or report that has controls or properties that microsoft access doesn't recognize and will ignore". The Terminal Server is running 2003. It is the only computer that gives an error. I checked the references and there are no missing references trying to load. I've tried compact and repair without any luck. I've deleted the DB and copied a new version in with no luck. I don't even know which form/report is causing the issue. On the chance that there is a form/report created in 2010, I deleted all forms/reports created since I started working in 2010 and that didn't work either. What else can I try?
Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Re: Error on DB open

Post by HansV »

Make sure that Access has been fully updated on the terminal server, and that the following post-SP3 update has been installed:

Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: December 18, 2007
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

OK, will do! Thanks!

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi again,
While I'm waiting for IT to be sure everything is current on the Terminal server I decided to create a new DB and pull in all of the files. When I went to be sure the reference libraries matched between the new and old DB, I found the the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object library was not in the list to pick from. Before I created the DB to pull everything into I made sure it was in 2002-2003 format. I'm not sure what to do to get the DAO 3.6 back.
Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Open the existing (working) database, and activate the Visual Basic Editor.
Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
Type (or copy/paste) the following line, then press Enter:

Code: Select all

? References("DAO").FullPath
You should get something similar to (but not necessarily exactly equal to)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll

Select this path, then copy it (Ctrl+C).

Now open the new database, activate the Visual Basic Editor, then select Tools > References...
Click Browse...
Paste the path in the File name box (Ctrl+V).
Click Open,
Do you have a reference to DAO now?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi Hans,
I copied and pasted line you gave me and got a runtime error 9 - subscript out of range
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you select Tools > References... in the Visual Basic Editor in the existing (working) database, do you see Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library listed?

If not, could you post a screenshot of the dialog, showing the top of the list?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Nope, not in the list. Here is the screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, thanks. Since DAO is not used in the working database, there is no need to set a reference to DAO in the new one either.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi, I guess I wasn't clear. The print screen I sent is for the new DB. The original DB does use it. I've attached a print screen of the DB that I copied the files from. Also, the New DB will not open so I think it needs it or needs something.
Leesha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, note the path shown at Location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\RiverSoft\Sam20\dao360.dll

Try opening the new database with Shift held down.
Then try to set a reference to the above path (using Browse...)
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Thanks! That worked perfectly. Still am having issues getting the DB to open on the server but its running everywhere else. All updates are on server. Still waiting for the hotfix you mentioned to be done.
Leesha