#Type! error when counting zero records

scottb
4StarLounger

#Type! error when counting zero records

Post by scottb »

I have a form with the following sql:
SELECT tblActionItems.DueDate, tblActionItems.EventType, tblActionItems.Description, tblProjects.ProjectName, tblActionItems.ActionItemID, tblActionItems.ProjectID, tblActionItems.ActionType
FROM tblProjects INNER JOIN tblActionItems ON tblProjects.ProjectID = tblActionItems.ProjectID
WHERE (((tblActionItems.ActionType)="Milestone") AND ((Year([DueDate])*53+DatePart("ww",[DueDate]))=Year(Date())*53+DatePart("ww",Date())+1) AND ((tblActionItems.ClosedDate) Is Null));

In the footer of the form, I have a text box with an expression to count instances of ProjectName: =Count([ProjectName]) This is working and if there are no records will result 0.

I have another form with the following sql:
SELECT tblActionItems.ActionItemID, tblProjects.ProjectID, tblProjects.ProjectName, tblActionItems.Description, tblActionItems.BornOn, tblActionItems.Priority, tblActionItems.Impact, tblActionItems.DueDate, tblActionItems.ResourceAssigned, tblActionItems.ActionType, tblActionItems.Status
FROM (tblActionItems INNER JOIN tblProjects ON tblActionItems.ProjectID = tblProjects.ProjectID) INNER JOIN tblPrograms ON tblProjects.ProgramID = tblPrograms.ProgramID
WHERE (((tblActionItems.ActionType)="Decision") AND ((tblActionItems.Status)<>"Completed"));

In the footer of the form, I have a text box with an expression to count instances of ProjectName: =Count([ProjectName]) This is not working and if there are no records result a #Type! Error.

I have tried to locate the differences but have been unable to resolve the error. Thank you for any help!

HansV
Administrator

Re: #Type! error when counting zero records

Post by HansV »

What happens if you use =Count(*) as Control Source?
Best wishes,
Hans

scottb
4StarLounger

Post by scottb »

If I use =count(*) the sql that is currently working returns an error not 0.
The sql that isn't working returns nothing.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid it's too difficult to troubleshoot this from the SQL alone. Could you create a stripped-down copy of the database without sensitive data, zip it and attach the zip file to a reply? Thanks in advance!
Best wishes,
Hans

scottb
4StarLounger

Post by scottb »

Hans,
Sorry for the delay in posting this I was just able to get back to it. Here is a stripped version of the db. I put the forms together to illustrate where the error is occurring. I have tried to get this working for a while and can't find what I'm doing wrong. Thank you very much for your help. -Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The difference is that the subform subfrmDecisions has AllowAdditions set to No. As a result, if the query qryActionItemsDecisions doesn't return any records, the subform is completely empty, including the count text box.
If you allow additions and set the control source to =Count(*), you'll get 0.
See the attached version.
Database with errors.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

scottb
4StarLounger

Post by scottb »

Hans, Thank you for your help and time looking at this. It was a small but lingering annoyance and I am grateful to have it resolved.