Importing a .dbf file

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Importing a .dbf file

Post by Leesha »

Hi,
I have a friend whose company is switching software vendors. They were told by the new vendor that they needed all of the info in excel files to import. The current software doesn't offer that option, or any other option of export that I recognize. I did find .dbf files (I've attached one here) but every time I go to try to import into Access to then export to excel I get format errors. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Leesah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Importing a .dbf file

Post by HansV »

The extension .dbf is used for DBase files. Both Excel and Access can open DBase files, but both refuse to open the file that you attached - I get a message that the "External file is not in the expected format", so apparently it is not a standard DBase file.

Can you find out the name of the 'old' software your friend has been using? Perhaps that would provide a clue as to how to open or convert the file.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I will check and let you know
Thanks!

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

They use Eon systems and they use TPS the practice solution.
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Although I can find lots of information about EON and TPS, I can't find anything about converting their DBF files. I recommend that your friend contacts EON support to ask how the files should be exported or converted.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The dbf file seems be be a form of backup from the EON system. There is an app called EON Recover (last part of this article), that would be able to read the file, but it will not help to convert it into a usable form for Access or Excel (unless the Recover app has an export facility). As Has says, it would probably be best to contact EON to find out about how to export to TXT or a readable format for MS Office apps.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.