Remove pattern background

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Remove pattern background

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. PowerPoint 2010.

I'm adding a pattern to a shape - pairs of diagonal lines. I can change the colour of each set of lines but I cannot see an option to make one of them transparent? (I believe it was possible to do this in 2007.)

Does anyone know where this option is please? Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Remove pattern background

Post by HansV »

Pattern fills were removed from PowerPoint 2007, apparently they have been reintroduced in PowerPoint 2010.

Apart from that, I don't think it has ever been possible to make a pattern partly transparent.

Are you sure that you want to use a pattern fill? It's considered rather old-fashioned nowadays...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Actually it's not me - some guy.
He's an image with a shape in front with stripes and wants to see the image through the 'alternate' stripes.
He says he could do it before, but I'm with you. Is there another way? Perhaps he needs to put both image and shape into an image editing application?

Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. I've been kinda sneaky. I've added a reflection, made it transparent and increased the distance between the shape and it's reflection. But maybe there's a better way?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I discovered I could do this by using a gradient fill for a shape, adding lots of gradient stops and making alternate ones transparent. Not really a solution though as it would take ages!

The chap assures me that semi-transparent shapes were previously possible but I'm very doubtful of this.

I saw that he was re-creating a quite detailed map with what I might call overlays for certain regions. Why do so many people use PowerPoint to create detailed diagrams? The main reason people have problems with PowerPoint is that they are not using it to create a presentation?! Andy.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

agibsonsw wrote:I discovered I could do this by using a gradient fill for a shape, adding lots of gradient stops and making alternate ones transparent. Not really a solution though as it would take ages!

The chap assures me that semi-transparent shapes were previously possible but I'm very doubtful of this.

I saw that he was re-creating a quite detailed map with what I might call overlays for certain regions. Why do so many people use PowerPoint to create detailed diagrams? The main reason people have problems with PowerPoint is that they are not using it to create a presentation?! Andy.
Hi Andrew

You would be surprised, I love using PowerPoint (2003) for many things that it should not be used for, organograms (should be done in Visio but I prefer the flexibility of PP), taking snapshots and then adding comments and then grouping and saving as a picture etc.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I find that so many people talk about things they struggle with in PowerPoint, then show me a printout - actually a booklet - with detailed diagrams.

I assume it's because it is part of the standard Office package for most companies and a lot of companies won't let them install any other applications. I presume Visio would be bettter suited but this would involve a steep learning curve.

I've often had to use Word to create manuals (with screenshots, etc.). Aaargh! It's simply horrible at this task, with images jumping all over the shop. I don't know if Publisher is better behaved..? I've got it on my computer so perhaps I should play with it a little.

Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:I've often had to use Word to create manuals (with screenshots, etc.). Aaargh! It's simply horrible at this task, with images jumping all over the shop. I don't know if Publisher is better behaved..? I've got it on my computer so perhaps I should play with it a little.
We're straying off-topic, but I find Word quite good for creating manuals. I keep almost all pictures inline with text; if I want pictures and text side-by side I'll use a borderless table with two columns: inline pictures in one column, text in the other.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Still off topic (sorry) but one last question. How would you ensure that an image (such as a screenshot), arrow and textbox stay together?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Group them.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Can I? Group is greyed out when I click the image.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah yes - I'm fortunate enough to be using Word 2003 at work, where I create manuals. You can group pictures and other shapes there. In Word 2007/2010 this requires using a drawing canvas, which I dislike.

But I mostly use FastStone Screen Capture to annotate screenshots - it lets you add arrows, text boxes etc. to screenshots. So I insert a picture complete with annotation into Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Yes I've been using FastStone Screen Capture for a while now. It's great!

Thanks, Andy.