MS PPT will not play my entire video

jmt356
SilverLounger

MS PPT will not play my entire video

Post by jmt356 »

I have a slide in one of my PPTs that links to a video. This is a video that I downloaded from the internet and then spliced to another brief video that I use as the ending.

When I go to Tools | Custom Animation, a window appears on the right that gives me a "play" option. I press play and the video plays perfectly within the program.
If, however, I press shift + F5, the PPT displays on the full screen and plays normally, but then at the end, the video gets cut off right around the ending that I spliced on. I don't understand what is causing this. There is a Pause effect after the Play effect, and I don't know how that got there or even what it is doing because when I delete it, the PPT remains unaffected and unchanged.

I would upload the slide and the linked video, but the video is too large for me to upload here (2.6 MB) and anyway, the mapping is kind of complicated (you would have to save the video to a folder called WMV in another folder called Rose (Pond5) and the PPT would need to be saved in in a folder called PPT that is located in a folder called PPT (Proposal), which also would contain the Rose (Pond5) folder).

Hopefully, with just this information, someone can tell me how to get the slideshow to play like the slide plays in the custom animatino window withuot getting cut off.

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: MS PPT will not play my entire video

Post by HansV »

What happens if you link to an unspliced video? Preferably try unspliced videos of different lengths.

Does the suggestion in Powerpoint cuts movies off... help?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans,

The unspliced video goes on and on and does not get cut off, but for some reason, the video is very slow but the audio is at normal speed. That's not an issue I am concerned with right now though.

The suggestion of putting an animated object at the end of my problematic video did not help.

By the way, I found out that the problematic video does not get cut off when the PPT is played on my wife's computer or on my work computer. The problem is on my home computer. So it must be something to do with my program.

BTW, how can I get your replies to come to my inbox?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know enough about PowerPoint to solve your problem, sorry.

To receive notifications of replies:

Click User Control Panel, then Board preferences and then Edit posting defaults.
x188.png
Set 'Notify me upon replies by default:' to Yes. Don't forget to click Submit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jmt356 wrote:... but for some reason, the video is very slow but the audio is at normal speed. That's not an issue I am concerned with right now though.
I'd be inclined to add it to a concern list.
My first thought on reading your post was "some form of corruption in the video", but what do I know?

In general, for problem-solving, I try to take into consideration as many unusual events as I can, since every one of them has the potential to point to a clue for a solution.

I think know that Hans's advice is sound. Hans is trying to isolate whatever is special or different about your video.
I'm adding to that by suggesting that the difference between video and audio speed might be caused by the same problem.
I Hope this helps ....
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

What version of PPT?
Is it up-to-date with service packs and patches?
Have you tried repairing your Office install?

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are all files on the local drive or are any of them on a network drive?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, I already had my posting default set to “Notify me upon replies by default.” However, with the exception of 6.17 post, I am not getting email notifications. None of the other posts in this thread came through to me. They are not in my junk mail box or Spam folder, either. It appears to me they are not being sent.

Joe, I have MS PPT 2003 (11.8318.8221) SP3. I don't know if it's up to date with service packs and patches. I have not tried repairing my Office install but I willnow.

Dave: all files are on the local drive in the same folder as the PPT presentation.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

E-mails from our server are relayed through Mike Wolfman's own server I think, and that has been offline these last few days; this probably causes the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, I just got your message to my inbox.

Joe, I tried repairing my Office install, but the video continues getting cut off.

JMT
Regards,

JMT

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Post by BobSullivan »

Sometimes, there is a delay in the video while the video is loading into your computer's memory. In other words, suppose it takes 5 seconds for the video to get into my computer's memory. The video time is one minute. If the video is set to play for one minute, there is a possibility that the last 5 seconds will be cut off. I'd be willing to bet that your computer doesn't have as much memory as your work computer or your wife's computer. You can try a couple of things.

See if you can set the video playback time for longer than the video actually plays. (what version of powerPoint do you have?)
What version of a video player are you using to run the video? if an older version of Windows Media player, update it.
There is a setting on earlier versions to "rewind" the video after playing. Use that.
Try inserting the video as a shockwave flash object (Active X control) instead of a video. Use the "Movie" property to link to the video.

Let us know.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA