Can't create a new Master Slide layout from regular slide

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Can't create a new Master Slide layout from regular slide

Post by New Daddy »

Rather than having to copy and paste regular slides created by third-party vendors, I duplicated them in the master slide of my Normal.POT as layouts -- at least so I thought.

I did so by copying all the elements of the regular slide, creating a new layout in the target template, and pasting all the elements of the original slide on to the new layout.

By doing this, I thought I would be able to use them as new layouts.

Instead, when I choose one of the imported layout in a new presentation, the previously "editable" elements are now a non-editable background.

What did I do wrong?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't create a new Master Slide layout from regular slid

Post by HansV »

You'd have to replace the text boxes by placeholders, as Rudi has shown in his reply in Can you apply a layout that has multiple body text boxes?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

AFAIK only placeholders will be editable after you close the master.
Any other items, even text boxes, will become background objects when the inserting new slides from a master design.

Effectively, you will need to copy the background components onto a new master layout and then add your own object and text placeholders to set up the editable components for the new slide.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:You'd have to replace the text boxes by placeholders, as Rudi has shown in his reply in Can you apply a layout that has multiple body text boxes?
Oh.. When I didn't realize he manually added all those text boxes.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Rudi mentions in his reply above, the only elements of a slide master that can be edited on an ordinary slide are placeholders. All other elements will be fixed background objects. So you need to remove the text boxes from the template slide and replace them with placeholders, otherwise it won't work.
Best wishes,
Hans