PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

Post by hlewton »

I have searched the NET and all I come up with is there really is no maximum number of slides I can have in a PowerPoint presentation. There may, as suggested be a resource problem like not enough RAM to handle a large presentation but I don't think that is my problem. I seem to be maxing out at 405 slides and I need to add about another 20 or so slides to complete a series of vacation photos over the last 8 years on 1 CD or DVD. The photos range in size from 363 KB to a little over 6300 KB (only 3 or 4 of these this size) with most being under 700 KB. Probably only about 50 or so over the 1000 KB size out of the 405 I have in the presentation. The PPS file as saved so far is 246,133 KB in size. If as I am reading there is no limit except viewer patience then why can't I add the remaining slides to complete the presentation as I would like it to be?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: PowerPoint 2010 Maxium Number Of Slides

Post by HansV »

I guess it's a resources problem. Keep in mind that a .jpg file is actually a compressed version of the image. so the presentation probably takes up more space in memory.
Why do you want to store all the photos in a PowerPoint presentation instead of saving them directly to the CD or DVD?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I guess it's a resources problem. Keep in mind that a .jpg file is actually a compressed version of the image. so the presentation probably takes up more space in memory.
Why do you want to store all the photos in a PowerPoint presentation instead of saving them directly to the CD or DVD?
Not sure. I just wanted to put them all in chronological order and have them play upon opening. Is there a way to do that without creating a presentation in PP? Maybe that is the wrong question because I'm sure there are other programs that can create a disk like that but I already own PP and I wanted something that automatically opened and advanced through all the photos on its own.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I read most of that link and just don't believe it has the best solution for me. I still like the ability to create a pps file that will play by itself even if I am out of resourses. So what I have is 8 gig of installed RAM. If I have that increased to 16 do you think I will be able to add the additional 30 or so photos I need to add or won't the additional RAM make a difference?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I really don't know if that will make a difference, since I don't know how PowerPoint handles memory.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks Hans. Maybe I'll try to see if PP allows me to link two CDs or DVDs together to finish the presentation.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Have you been cropping photos as you put them in the presentation? If so, you can get the PPT smaller by running the built in picture compression option. This will remove the cropped areas and you can optionally compress the images further with the resolution choices. With so many images in your PPT, doing this could make a significant alteration in the file size.
SC002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for the suggestion but I didn't crop any of them before inserting them into the presentation. I have found a way to link one presentation to another and it worked well. Then I decided to make separate presentations for each of the 8 years and link one after another but so far I haven't gotten that to work as it should. I have to maybe start over and see what I'm doing wrong since I did get the linking to work with the larger presentations I should be able to get it to work with smaller ones as well. I'll keep at it. Again, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

hlewton wrote:Then I decided to make separate presentations for each of the 8 years and link one after another but so far I haven't gotten that to work as it should.
Are you using methods outlined here? What do you mean by "I haven't gotten that to work as it should."
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:
hlewton wrote:Then I decided to make separate presentations for each of the 8 years and link one after another but so far I haven't gotten that to work as it should.
Are you using methods outlined here? What do you mean by "I haven't gotten that to work as it should."
Yes I am using the methods you linked to. The first time I tried to link the larger presentation that I started this thread about to a smaller one to finish out the 8 years worth of photos it worked perfectly. I then decided to make a presentation for each of the years instead of one large one and one smaller one. I then followed the same procedure in linking year 2008 to year 2009 but the slide with he link, for some reason did not appear at the end of 2008's presentation. I moved the link slide up 1 position in the presentation (there were only 98 total slides in this presentation so it should not have had any problems but it did) and then deleted one slide and the slide with the link did appear but the link did not work. I haven't figured out why yet. I did have PP crash when all 8 presentations were all open at the same time so I plan to start all over and try again. I should be able to get the link to the next presentation working but since I'm not certain what cause my problem you asked about I just don't know yet what is going on. I plan to start with year 2015 and work backward to 2008 applying links as I go and closing the presentations trying to avoid a PP crash again. That is the only thing I can think of trying in order to get the links to work as they should. I sure hope I have explained it well enough you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Got it all working as it should be. I deleted the one presentation that I mentioned above which would not show the linked slide and created that presentation over again. It is now working but I think I also found the reason it wasn't to start with. In the setup of the presentation you can tell it all slides or select the number of the slides you want to have the presentation use. I believe it was set to 1 less slide then the total number instead of being set to "all." I'm still not certain why the link didn't work but all is working well now.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad you got it going.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Have you been cropping photos as you put them in the presentation? If so, you can get the PPT smaller by running the built in picture compression option. This will remove the cropped areas and you can optionally compress the images further with the resolution choices. With so many images in your PPT, doing this could make a significant alteration in the file size.
SC002.jpg
I have looked and tried to get what looks to me like a "Format" tab in your above attachment but didn't see one in the list of commands that I believe could be added as an additional tab. Also I see nothing that says "Picture Tools." How did you setup your PP to show what you displayed in your attachment?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Format tab of the ribbon is only displayed when you select a picture on a slide.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. That was driving me nuts. LOL
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Another PP question. I have some power point presentations that were saved and sent as *.pps files which have music attached to the slides as they advance. I have opened them with PP but can't find how to extract the audio clip from them to use in another presentation. Is there a way to do this and if so how?

Also along with this same idea are there free sites that you know of where audio clips can be legally downloaded and used for private presentations like I am trying to create?
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi

Open PPT
Open the *.pps from the File menu of PPT
You should be able to right click on the speaker icon and choose Save Media as...
SC018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or:

Step 1: rename the .pps to .ppt in Windows Explorer.
Step 2: open the .ppt in PowerPoint, then save it as a HTML file.

This will create a folder containing the embedded images, audio clips etc. from the presentation.

Have you tried a Google search for free audio clips?
Best wishes,
Hans