Multi-Page Excel Spreadsheet on Multiple Slides

rettingr
StarLounger

Multi-Page Excel Spreadsheet on Multiple Slides

Post by rettingr »

I want to import/link an Excel spreadsheet that has a listing of many facility projects for our organization into a PowerPoint presentation. The list, when printed currently, will come out on 3 pages. What I would like is for the print by page version to spread across three slides, but when I import it, it will only come up on a single slide compressed. The update of this list comes from our facility leasor, so they are not internal and the list grows and shrinks as projects are added and completed. Any ideas on how to make this work?
Randy

HansV
Administrator

Re: Multi-Page Excel Spreadsheet on Multiple Slides

Post by HansV »

Objects cannot stretch across multiple slides, so you'll have to import/link individual parts of the worksheet to separate slides. If you're willing to accept that some slides may display empty cells, you could link, say, 10 slides to parts of the worksheet. Otherwise, I fear there is no easy solution.
Best wishes,
Hans

rettingr
StarLounger

Post by rettingr »

Thanks Hans,

That is what I expected, but was hoping for a magic trick and knew I could only find it here if it existed.

Randy
Randy

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Steve Rindsberg (http://www.pptfaq.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) gives a suggestion in the last post of this thread that could help to maintain a changing table over multiple slides.
One possible way around this is to give each section of the table a range name.
If you select and copy the cells within the named range and then Paste Special, Link onto a slide in PPT, the link should point to the named range rather than to a specific set of cells in your Excel worksheet.
If you later add more rows or columns to the range in Excel, PowerPoint will update with the new information.
Keep the ranges small enough and you'll leave room for later expansion, so they won't run off the slide when you add more data.
In addition:
I have pirated a macro from here, and modified it a bit so that it can take your current Excel table and splits to new sheets it according to your specifications (I'd say approx. 25 records per slide). The macro also names the new split tables. If you copy each table and paste as a link into a new slide, it will auto-update in PowerPoint when you add or delete records or modify records...

Code: Select all

Sub SplitData()
Dim WorkRng As Range
Dim xRow As Range
Dim SplitRow As Integer
Dim xWs As Worksheet
    On Error Resume Next
    Set WorkRng = Application.Selection
    Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8)
    SplitRow = Application.InputBox("Split Row Num", xTitleId, 5, Type:=1)
    Set xWs = WorkRng.Parent
    Set xRow = WorkRng.Rows(1)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For i = 1 To WorkRng.Rows.Count Step SplitRow
        resizeCount = SplitRow
        If (WorkRng.Rows.Count - xRow.Row + 1) < SplitRow Then resizeCount = WorkRng.Rows.Count - xRow.Row + 1
        xRow.Resize(resizeCount).Copy
        Application.Worksheets.Add after:=Application.Worksheets(Application.Worksheets.Count)
        Application.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").PasteSpecial
        If i >= 2 Then
            Application.ActiveSheet.Rows(1).Insert
            WorkRng.CurrentRegion.Rows(1).Copy Application.ActiveSheet.Cells(1)
        End If
        Application.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Select
        Application.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Name = ActiveSheet.Name
        Set xRow = xRow.Offset(SplitRow)
    Next
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote:(I'd say approx. 25 records per slide)
Do you mean 25 rows? I'd say that is far too much. Nobody is going to read 25 lines on a slide. The 'golden rule' is about 6 lines per slide.
If really necessary, provide a link to a web page that people can follow later if they are interested in detailed information, or provide a handout...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree completely. I live by the 7x7 rule in PPT. (No more than 7 bullet points on a slide, and no more than 7 words per point!)
I mentioned 25 if Randy just wants to briefly show the table content for mentioning purposes.
25 records fits OK'ish on a slide and if he has 3 pages of records, you'd need a bunch per slide else it would split over too many slides.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.