Range Name - list and properties

capri
StarLounger

Range Name - list and properties

Post by capri »

Hi,

I will soon be working with a rather complex spreadsheet created by someone else. I have a copy to play with and am trying to figure you how everything works.

I have the feeling that there are more range names in the workbook than will display in the GoTo window. Is there any way to get a list of all the range names in the entire workbook?

Also I have the feeling that the range names somehow autoexpand as each new months worth of data is added. The rangenames are data sources for dozens of graphs.

Recently I downloaded a sample chart called funchrt1 by Stephen Bullen. It uses =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$5,1,0,COUNT(Sheet1!$A$6:$A$2004),1) as the Chart X values.

In one of my graphs the Chart X value is =YTD_1011_Nov_v01.xls!OnList_METRO

the first part is the name of the workbook and the second part is the rangename (which I could only get to by F5 then typing in the range name as it was not in the list).

Is there a method to find out if the range name uses the above OFFSET type forumla?

or it may have some type of formula as there is a parameters page which has

Period = July 2009 - November 2010

so the range name may be linked to this cell

Thanks for any help in understanding what is happening.

capri
Last edited by capri on 31 Jan 2011, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Re: Range Name - list and properties

Post by sdckapr »

When in a worksheet, insert - name - define and you should be able to see the name and see what it refers to...

Steve

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd download and install Jan Karel Pieterse's free Name Manager add-in (there are separate versions for Excel 97-2003 and Excel 2007-2010). It will let you view and edit all defined names in the workbook in a more user-friendly interface than the built-in dialog.

In =YTD_1011_Nov_v01.xls!OnList_METRO, OnList_METRO is a defined name. Use the Name Manager to view its definition.
Best wishes,
Hans

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

For this "Is there any way to get a list of all the range names in the entire workbook?:

Make sure you are in a clean area of a sheet, otherwise you'll overwrite the cell contents
In 2000/2003:
Go to Inset/ Name >Paste... [Paste List] button

in 2007:
On the Formula tab, in the Defined Names group choose Use in Formula> Paste Names.... [Paste List] button

capri
StarLounger

Post by capri »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did the paste list and the range name I was looking for was there (895 on a list of 1735 range names) and it did use the Offset formula.

I will take Hans suggestion and install the Name Manage as with that many range names I will need some help in managing them.

Think that has been the quickest I've ever had not just one but 3 responses.

capri