Editing Conditional formating formulas

bknight
BronzeLounger

Editing Conditional formating formulas

Post by bknight »

This may sound odd, but I'm trying to edit a conditional formula, but the formula is larger than the window that contains the formula. If I attempt to use the arrow keys to scroll over the fomula changes the cell location. How may I get a larger version of the formula?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Re: Editing Conditional formating formulas

Post by bknight »

Ah never mind, I kept fiddling with the edit functions and finally able to edit the two numbers in the formula. I do have a small question concerning the formulas, and Hans at one time told me what it meant but my memory needs to be refreshed.

Code: Select all

=OR(--LEFT(E2443,3)>145,--RIGHT(E2443,LEN(E2443)-FIND("/",E2443))>90)
What do the two "--" mean in English. The formula is in cell E2996. The conditional format extends from $E$2443:$E$4000.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

LEFT(E2443,3) returns a text string that looks like a number, for example "234". You cannot directly compare that to the number 145.
The - operator forces Excel to treat the text string like a number and convert it to its negative: -"234" is evaluated as -234.
The second - turns the negative number positive again: --"234" evaluates to 234. This can be compared to 145.

For the future: when you want to edit a long formula, press F2. You can then use the left and right arrow keys.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Thanks as always.

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

In my version of Office (365 current channel), the CF rule editing window can be sized to my liking
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com