Protected Excel Files Will Not Open On Win 10 Machine It Was Copied To

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Protected Excel Files Will Not Open On Win 10 Machine It Was Copied To

Post by hlewton »

Fortunately, I found a way to fix this problem, but I consider it a “work around” not a great solution. I have a couple password protected Excel files, this problem only occurred on the 2 password protected files I have, all the other files opened as they should. What I do after making any change to these files is copy them to my other computers, so every computer has exactly the same file on it. These files are made or modified on a Win 11 machine and copied to Win 10 machines. But, this is not new. It's been done the same way for a month or so now with no problem.

On the machine in question, on the same day this problem occurred, a total backup or image was made of it, preparing for Win 11 to be installed on it. When I tried opening either of these password protected files, I got a message saying it could not open it. I don’t remember the exact wording, but it also asked if I wanted Excel to try to repair it. I said yes and got another message saying it couldn’t fix the problem. So, I once more copied the files from another machine as I always do, and it did the same thing. The file did/does open on the other computers I have.

I then copied the file to an USB stick, put that in the machine that could not open the file, opened it from the stick and it opened as it should. I then "saved as" it from the stick to that computer in the folder I wanted it in and now it opens as it always has in the past. I tested a little further. Using the same machine I always use, I copied it to that problem computer in the same manner as usual. Tried opening it again, and it opened. So for now, I believe the problem is fixed. However, I'd like to try to understand why this happened.

Any idea why these 2 files refused to open as they always have and suggestions on how to avoid this in the future or maybe a better fix than I found?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Protected Excel Files Will Not Open On Win 10 Machine It Was Copied To

Post by HansV »

I have moved this topic from the Word forum to the Excel forum.

I don't know what caused the problem, but why don't you place one copy of the workbook on a shared drive, or in the cloud? That way you won't have to copy them.
Best wishes,
Hans

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Just in case it's relevant: there have been a few issues recently with similar behaviour for users of Malwarebytes, due to a bug in a recent update. And the latest update (4.5.10) does not seem to have fixed it either.
Regards,
Rory

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 12:07

I don;t know what caused the problem, but why don't you place one copy of the workbook on a shared drive, or in the cloud? That way you won't have to copy them.
Thanks Hans. I guess I wasn't fully awake, I thought I had posted it under Excel. As far as the cloud or shared drive is concerned, I have never stored anything with this kind of information in it in any cloud service and I don't know anything about a shared drive.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

rory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 14:19
Just in case it's relevant: there have been a few issues recently with similar behaviour for users of Malwarebytes, due to a bug in a recent update. And the latest update (4.5.10) does not seem to have fixed it either.
I think this is very relevant because I use Malwarebytes and it is supposed to be protecting me in real time. Thank you for this information.
Regards,
hlewton

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

There is a setting you can turn off for now that should fix it. I’ll look it up again when I have a minute
Regards,
Rory

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

In MalwareBytes, go to Settings, then the Security tab, scroll down to the 'Exploit Protection' section at the bottom, then click 'Advanced Settings'. Select the 'Application behavior protection' tab, and scroll down to the 'Excel macro 4.0 abuse prevention' option (2nd from bottom) and uncheck it. I think you need to restart MB and Excel.
Regards,
Rory

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

rory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 16:16
In MalwareBytes, go to Settings, then the Security tab, scroll down to the 'Exploit Protection' section at the bottom, then click 'Advanced Settings'. Select the 'Application behavior protection' tab, and scroll down to the 'Excel macro 4.0 abuse prevention' option (2nd from bottom) and uncheck it. I think you need to restart MB and Excel.
Thank you. I will check that out immediately.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

rory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 16:16
I wish I could say that will fix it but, it was already unchecked on both machines. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again but, strange that it happened this time. Thanks again, for your suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

hlewton wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 15:14
HansV wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 12:07

I don;t know what caused the problem, but why don't you place one copy of the workbook on a shared drive, or in the cloud? That way you won't have to copy them.
Thanks Hans. I guess I wasn't fully awake, I thought I had posted it under Excel. As far as the cloud or shared drive is concerned, I have never stored anything with this kind of information in it in any cloud service and I don't know anything about a shared drive.
Shared Drive = Network Drive or portable hard drive. (Not a flash drive.)

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 02:24

Shared Drive = Network Drive or portable hard drive. (Not a flash drive.)
Thank you for that information.
Regards,
hlewton