Total Time

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Total Time

Post by Graeme »

Hello

My boss has asked me to total the time I spend on the projects I'm working on.

Please see attached. If I record when I start and finish tasks for each project I can measure the time spent during the day. Then I can Sum the Total Time manually fairly easily.

Can I use the If function (or some other) in some way to automatically Sum the Total Time by looking up the job numbers. Or would I need to code this and use some variables?

Cheers

Regards

Graeme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Total Time

Post by HansV »

You can use the SUMIF function. See the attached version.

Hours per Project.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Ah! SUMIF!

Perfect

Thanks

Regards

Graeme

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 16:15
My boss has asked me to total the time I spend on the projects I'm working on.
Graeme, since around 1989 I have kept track of my time with Notepad.exe, because Notepad.exe has the ".LOG" feature (attached as Billt202111.txt): if the first line of the file is ".LOG", then Notepad timestamps a new line at the foot of the document.

I kept a toolbar icon whose batch file loaded the current logging file:-
Phone rings; click on icon which time stamps the foot of the document; then chat. If chat is less than two minutes ("let's grab a coffee") I close the file without saving; otherwise I enter the client/person code and save. Now I know how much time they wasted, and I haven't billed my client for 40 minutes of my time.

It comes with a neat summary process in Word2003/VBA which delivers data that can be pasted directly into Excel ...
Untitled.png
But I suspect your boss won't buy the idea of a solution that uses Notepad.exe to record data.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

That's an interesting use of Notepad. I knew about the F5 date and time thing but I didn't know about .log

I have Notepad++ running most of the time, for making notes! But we haven't got that at work.

A button click to enter the time might be useful. I might go and have a play with that.

Regards

Graeme

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 21:05
That's an interesting use of Notepad. I knew about the F5 date and time thing but I didn't know about .log
I have Notepad++ running most of the time, for making notes! But we haven't got that at work. A button click to enter the time might be useful. I might go and have a play with that.
If "at work" includes Windows, then you have got Notepad.exe.
I don't know if .LOG works in NotePad++, but you could find out.

Originally I ran the logging data into Jim(?) Buttonware's "PCFiledB" and processed it as a database table of data to be summarized, but then I got a contract using DOS Lotus 2.1, then teaching DOS Lotus, then teaching Windows Lotus, then teaching Excel for Windows, and then Office97 came along, so I broke down and converted my pcFiledB application to Word97/VBA.

I see no reason why one couldn't process the Notepad.txt file directly in Excel as a simple User deal; no need for VBA at all, IMHO.
If you want to try that, I can shoot you some genuine billing data on which to cut your teeth, just let me know.
Cheers
Chris

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 03:18
I don't know if .LOG works in NotePad++, but you could find out.

I couldn't get it to work in Notepad! :sad:

Some searching found Ctrl Shift ; for entering date and time in Excel. That will suffice.

Regards

Graeme

snb
4StarLounger

Post by snb »

Use a simple pivottable to show your 'boss'

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 05:51
I couldn't get it to work in Notepad! :sad:
Notepad or Notepad+?
I am using it in Win10.
Cheers, Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

One trusts that your "total time spent on projects" spreadsheet has an entry accounting for the time you spend on recording/calculating/guessing/manipulating this total time? :clever:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 12:38
One trusts that your "total time spent on projects" spreadsheet has an entry accounting for the time you spend on recording/calculating/guessing/manipulating this total time? :clever:
I can see what you're thinking, John. :evilgrin: :grin: :grin:
I set this scheme up back around 1988 or 89. I know that I was using it when I started at Laidlaw in Burlington Ontario.
Thirty-three years in operation, and as a one-man firm I detested the paperwork required of me; it took away time that I could have spent programming, some of which I was paid for.

Nowadays I use it mainly to record interruptions (visits by the Town Gossip, rambling phone calls and so on), but I have this past month used it to collect data on recording audio tracks. A 30-minute MP3 recording of part of a chapter of a book can consume up to four hours. Who Knew?

(answer, "I know", thanks to humble old Notepad.exe)

Cheers
Chrius

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a .LOG text file on each of my computers, with a shortcut on the desktop. I use it to log all configuration changes, and all error messages, so that I can see what changed when things happen.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 14:46
I have a .LOG text file on each of my computers, ...and all error messages, so that I can see what changed when things happen.
:clapping: :clapping:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 14:46
I have a .LOG text file on each of my computers, with a shortcut on the desktop. I use it to log all configuration changes, and all error messages, so that I can see what changed when things happen.
This would be a great way to record random logouts from the six phpBB I visit.
Thanks
Chris