FORECAST.ETS Function

BobH
UraniumLounger

FORECAST.ETS Function

Post by BobH »

I need help understanding the arguments in this function. I've attached a spreadsheet that I'd like to use it on. What I expect the formula to do is to forecast values for dates not yet reached. The data is daily and meets the requirements of the formula (I think). I think I have defined the first 2 arguments correctly, but I am uncertain what the timeline argument should contain. It is also possible that I am trying to use the function incorrectly. The data are kilowatt hours of daily electricity consumption.

The function's syntax is: =FORECAST.ETS(target_date, values, timeline, [seasonality],[data_completion],[aggregation]).

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and shall be gratefully received.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: FORECAST.ETS Function

Post by HansV »

The formula in row 18 would be

=FORECAST.ETS(B18,$F$2:$F$17,$B$2:$B$17)

B18 is the first date without data.
$F$2:$F$17 is the list of known kWh use.
$B$2:$B$17 is the list of dates of known use.

Fill down to row 33.

But there is little point in using FORECAST.ETS here, since there is no discernible pattern to the usage data. It would be different if there was a weekly pattern, for example a dip or peak during the weekends. You might as well use the TREND function which provides a linear extrapolation.

See the attached workbook.

forecastets.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: FORECAST.ETS Function

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Mr. V!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs