Can't Connect . . . to office.com

BobH
UraniumLounger

Can't Connect . . . to office.com

Post by BobH »

Running Office Professional Plus 2013 on Windows 10, when I try to access more information about a function drop down, I get the screen shown below. Why? What, if anything, can I do to fix it?
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
excel connect.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't Connect . . . to office.com

Post by HansV »

I'd wait a few hours, then try again.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Mr. V!

I get this message consistently. I don't think I've ever successfully linked to office.com in this manner. Are there any settings I should check on my PC?

MORE INFORMATION:
I found a web page that said to check Connections under the DATA tab. I got the following results.
connections.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, that is not relevant - that dialog refers to connections from your workbook to data sources such as a database.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you. I'd look up the function in your favorite search engine.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The problem is probably the result of Microsoft having changed lots of stuff in their online help structure in the nearly a decade since Office 2013 shipped. It's now on support.microsoft.com, and probably will move to docs.microsoft.com in the near future. For current help on Excel functions, start at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... =Functions.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Jay!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

RESOLVED:

Apparently this problem was caused by issues with my DNS server. Excel can now use the Internet to access data without the error message.

I'm uncertain what I did to fix the problem. I first (tried) to view my router settings to determine the name or IP address of my DNS server. I had problems connecting to the router and finally resolved them by rebooting everything; however, my router's UI didn't reveal anything about my DNS server. I then started searching the 'Net and wound up running the DNS Benchmark freeware app by Steve Gibson. I then ran his Spoofability test. After several false starts, I finally go this process completed and connectivity from router to laptop and router to the 'Net seem to be OK.

I think the problem might have been triggered by my Mozilla VPN but that is just a hunch. I found that my problem of being unable to get to the router UI was because the VPN was running on the laptop. I stopped it and was then able to get to the router. My hunch is probably a bad one, but that was the loose thread that seemed to allow me to unravel the problem.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)