Mouseover ToolTip or MsgBox on File Name in Directory ...

Asher
2StarLounger

Mouseover ToolTip or MsgBox on File Name in Directory ...

Post by Asher »

Hello,

I have a large numbe of excel files that are all named based on a numeric naming convention. Each file is associated with the person (volatile factor) in charge of the area it is organizing data for.

The system works but it is difficult to find at a glance who belongs to what file. Since it would be tedious and a huge project in itself to rename every file using the numbering convention and the name of the person overseeing that area, (again, this person can also change many times) relink every file it is linked to, and update all the files with code referencing these files, I was wondering if there is a way to encode a tooltip or msg box that pops up within the directory when someone mouses over the file name?

Similarly, there is one that is already in place in Microsoft that tells you the type, size, and modified date (I have included a pic of this as an example of what I am looking for).

I am also open to suggestion.

Thanks,

Asher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Re: Mouseover ToolTip or MsgBox on File Name in Directory ...

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

If you right-click a file and select Properties, you get a small window, which has a tab named "Summary". Any info entered there will show in the tooltip. You can also edit these properties from within Excel
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think that the image you posted shows that your files are on a network share, rather than local. See this article for detail of the registry setting you can modify to display more information for these files.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Alternatively, in Details view, could you add the columns showing Author and Subject:
x.jpg
- quicker to see than a tool-tip, and you can sort on them too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Asher
2StarLounger

Post by Asher »

Thanks Stuart, that did work, as Jan Karel stated I did try and use the summary informatin, but as you correctly noticed I am on a netowrk drive so the summary information was not showing.

I didn't realize there was a difference in the settings.

Now this leads to another question...

Do I have to go to everyone's computer to change those reg settings in order for them to see wha I put in the Title (I figured that would be the best section to put the name of the person currently in charge of the sheet's area)? Or is there another way?

Asher
2StarLounger

Post by Asher »

Leif wrote:Alternatively, in Details view, could you add the columns showing Author and Subject:

Leif, that is a good alternative, no messing with the registry (which makes me sweat and tremble). But can you impose that view on that specific folder so all those who enter it see it that way?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Asher wrote:But can you impose that view on that specific folder so all those who enter it see it that way?
No, folder views are specific to the user, not to the folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How about renaming the workbooks to include the author's name in the file name? E.g. 0205-John Doe.xlsx and 0206-Jane Roe.xlsx.
It would be possible to create and run a macro that performs the renaming of all workbooks in a folder (and subfolders, if desired).
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:How about renaming the workbooks to include the author's name in the file name? E.g. 0205-John Doe.xlsx and 0206-Jane Roe.xlsx.
I think that option was ruled out because the author can change, and links would need updating...
Leif

Asher
2StarLounger

Post by Asher »

I think that option was ruled out because the author can change, and links would need updating...

Correct Leif! The Person can cahnge and these files are linked to multiple others as well as referenced in many instances of VB code that I would have to change every time the name changed.

Is there any way to at least set it up as the default view if the person hasn't created their own personalized view?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Leif wrote:I think that option was ruled out because the author can change, and links would need updating...
You're right, I overlooked that. But in that case, displaying the author in Detail view or in a tooltip wouldn't help either, I think - the author is the one who originally created the workbook, not the one who last modified it.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Asher wrote:Is there any way to at least set it up as the default view if the person hasn't created their own personalized view?
Perhaps something can be done with a group policy, but I can't help with that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Asher
2StarLounger

Post by Asher »

It's not the Author field I am working with (as I am the Author listed most of the time), I am assigning the name of the person appointed to each workbook I created in the "Title" field.

Here is an updated pic on what I have based on the suggestions made to me:
I can see the Title in both the details view and the tooltip, my issue now is to figure out the best way to implement one or both of these in a way that the rest of the people who access these files can see the information.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The attached zip file contains a .reg file that should add the document title to the tooltip for network files. Extract the .reg file from the zip file, and open (double-click) the .reg file on any computer where you want this setting. Changes will be immediate, no reboot required.
QuickTip.zip
Best wishes,
Hans