Excel 2010 - splitting worksheet into two scrollable panes

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Excel 2010 - splitting worksheet into two scrollable panes

Post by John Gray »

I can't get the instructions for creating two scrollable vertical panes to work!

While selecting a cell in the top row, I do View -> Split and get a vertical bar between the cells, but scrolling up and down moves all cells together, whereas I want the left pane to be able to move up and down through the rows while keeping the right pane static.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

NonScrolling.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel 2010 - splitting worksheet into two scrollable panes

Post by HansV »

That is not possible, unfortunately - Excel doesn't work that way.
You might open a second window on the workbook (click New Window on the View tab of the ribbon), then arrange the two windows side by side.
The range displayed in one window is independent of the range displayed in the other one.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Oh! I could have sworn that, ages and ages ago, I could do this! Was it on the Amstrad PCW9512 with SuperCalc 2, maybe?

I've tried opening a second window with View -> New Window, but I now get two windows (marked Read-Only) which can't be individually repositioned or resized separately...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is strange - opening a second window shouldn't make the workbook read-only.
When the workbook windows aren't maximized within the Excel application window, you should be able to reposition and resize them, unless the workbook has been protected for Windows (Review tab > Protect Workbook)
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've got it right now!
1) The original worksheet was read-only, which I hadn't noticed before.
2) And I hadn't realised that the contents of the Excel window had to be reduced in size to be able to see the second ("new") window - I was looking for a second Excel window...

Thanks, both for your expertise and patience!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In Excel 2010 and earlier versions, all workbook windows are displayed within the Excel application window, and they are usually maximized within it.

In Excel 2013 and later, each workbook window is a separate, independent window on the Windows desktop.
Best wishes,
Hans