Excel2003: Relocating X-axis labels

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Excel2003: Relocating X-axis labels

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Nothing fancy here; an Excel2003 work-horse data sheet with a couple of crude charts.
Untitled.png
I am plotting "number of pages in the document" (1 to 30,000) against "duration of run" (seven seconds to over a day-and-a-half)
The column chart shows the data, and exponential curve, which I expect.
The logarithmic chart (imaged above) shows an almost-straight line, which is what i expect.

I am new to logarithmic charts, and have been fiddling around for half an hour trying to find a way to relocate the x-axis labels away from the interior of the chart down to the lower edge.
Untitle2.png
I managed to get the scale to the TOP of the plot area (but can't remember how I did that) and also tried clearing the logarithmic scale checkbox, but that seemed to turn my logarithmic chart back to an exponential line chart.

The purpose of this oh-so-simple device is to give a quick-and-dirty view that, yes, processing time is near-straight-line in a logarithmic fashion, with an overhead that shows up in low-volume documents.

Thanks for any help/
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel2003: Relocating X-axis labels

Post by HansV »

If you want the x-axis to cross at the maximum y-axis value, click 'Maximum axis value' under 'Horizontal axis crosses'.

S3433.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since your y-axis begins at 1E-5, you can set the horizontal axis to cross at 1E-5:

S3434.png
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:51
If you want the x-axis to cross at the maximum y-axis value, click 'Maximum axis value' under 'Horizontal axis crosses'.
Thanks Hans.
This was what I stumbled upon accidentally, sending the x-axis labels to the top of the plot area.
Since your y-axis begins at 1E-5, you can set the horizontal axis to cross at 1E-5:
And this is what I wanted.
Or close to it.
I see that my minimum actual value is 0.00008 also known as 8E-5. I reformatted the values in E-notation to get a clearer view.
I gather too that I can't make the chart line start at the x-axis because a logarithmic scale (log10 that is) will be portrayed as powers of ten, and so setting a minimum value of 0.00008 won't prevent the y-axis "snapping to" a power of ten.

Anyway, ir now looks neat enough to send off to my user.
Thanks a 1E6
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle