Hyperlinked Org Chart

Dinesh
NewLounger

Hyperlinked Org Chart

Post by Dinesh »

I had been looking for a dynamic Excel org chart for a few weeks and kept reaching dead-ends until I came upon Stefan_Sand's impressive work on here, supported by HansV. It was far more complex than I needed, so I simplified the input/output sheet for my needs (and hopefully this will be able to help others).

The only thing missing for me is hyperlinking each hierarchy node to its respective sheet, which I have listed in column G and added some blank example sheets that could be hyperlinked to. Org charts allow this to be manually done by right-clicking on each node, but I'm not a VBA wiz by any standard and I'm unsure how to put this into the VBA code so it is done automatically. In reality the sheet names aren't as structured; they're simply the company name in a full or shortened form. Could you please help with this?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Hyperlinked Org Chart

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Sorry about the late reply, you posted just before we started an update of our forum software.

Unfortunately, it appears to be impossible to add a hyperlink to a SmartArt node in Excel VBA. See Add a Hyperlink to a SmartArt Node. Sorry to disappoint you!
Best wishes,
Hans

Dinesh
NewLounger

Post by Dinesh »

Hi Hans,

Your reply wasn't late at all, and thanks greatly for your time! I'm not sure if a potential solution to hyperlinking is to convert the SmartArt to shapes, and then hyperlink the shapes; I'll get someone to look into that.

I'm unable to log into the website using either of my laptops, but I can using my phone, strangely. I suspect this is a temporary effect of the website changes. When I can log in again, I'll publish my final version here, in case it is of use to anyone.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Dinesh,

Try deleting the Eileen's Lounge cookies in the browser on your laptops. Then quit and restart the browser. That worked for most of us who had problems logging in after the update.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dinesh
NewLounger

Post by Dinesh »

Hi Hans,

That seems to have fixed it!

I have attached my final Org Chart model, which does everything I needed, plus some more, such as changing layout types and assigning assistants. It's not always well coded as I have a lot to learn in Excel, but it appears functional and without errors (although I may have missed something) so hopefully it will be of use to others here too. When I was looking for such a model myself, there appeared to be many others searching for the same thing.

The only things that I desired that it doesn't do because of Excel's limitations are dynamically hyperlinking the nodes to workbook sheets and dynamically aligning nodes to different levels based on a manual override.

Many thanks to you for your support, and to Stefan_Sand for his impressive code and making it available on here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing your workbook! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans