password prompt for VBA

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

password prompt for VBA

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have a user that is getting a password prompt for VBA project only after a workbook is saved, closed then reopened. The workbook is an xlsm. and the user is using Windows 7 with Microsoft Office 2016
I read something that stated “This problem occurs if the ActiveX DLL does not properly release the reference to the workbook that contains the password-protected VBA project.”
I’m not sure what that exactly means
The macros are set to enable, and does the Developer Macro Settings trust access to the VBA need to be checked

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Re: password prompt for VBA

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Also i wanted to note that the user could not clear it until they logged out user and reopened. Then I was unable to open the workbook.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

After lots of searching I combined some possible solutions (attached).
I do have one question; if the VBA project password was removed or the password was given to the user would this help in any way, or is the problem something else
VB Password Prompt.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to the PDF file that you attached, the most probable cause is an add-in that the user has installed, such as the Adobe Acrobat add-in (this add-in is notorious for causing all kinds of problems; it's best to deactivate it).

If you removed the password from the VBA project, the problem would disappear, but the user would then be able to view, copy and edit your code.
Best wishes,
Hans