Average monthly salary from multiple income source?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Average monthly salary from multiple income source?

Post by New Daddy »

I have a data table that lists payments to my researchers, with income source, month, and salary.

I'm trying to create a pivot table that shows the average monthly income of each of my researchers.
Is there a way to create a function that will calculate the average monthly income of my researchers, when more than one grant can pay for one researcher's salary in any given month?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Average monthly salary from multiple income source?

Post by HansV »

You cannot do that in a pivot table. If you set the summary function to average, Excel will average over the source data, not over the monthly totals, resulting in incorrect results.
You'd have to create an ordinary list/table that calculates the monthly totals per researcher, and use that as data source for the pivot table that calculates the monthly averages.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:You'd have to create an ordinary list/table that calculates the monthly totals per researcher,
How do you do that? That sounds like something that a pivot table is built to do.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's possible, for example like this:
S1061.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:That's possible, for example like this:
S1061.png
Thanks! I think I can work off of those pivot tables to calculate the average salary.