multiplication problem (Excel 2007)

steveh
SilverLounger

multiplication problem (Excel 2007)

Post by steveh »

HI all

In a lot of workbooks I use a simple calculation to determine external volume of a package in kilos and internal capacity in litres, normally everything works fine but I am working in a new workbook and have L X W X H / by the airlines volume converter 6000cc = 1 kilo, therefore I have D13*E13*F13/6000 in cell G13 but cell G13 always shows 0.00 whatever I put in D13,E13 and F13, I have tried this in various places in the worksheet and it always returns 0, likewise I have H13*I13*J13/1000 and that too always returns a 0.

I have gone into Advanced Options for this Excel workbook but I can't see anything in there which would make a difference to calculations.

Any ideas please?

PS. There are other formulas in the same worksheets that do work OK (although not calculating one's) for example =CompanyDetails!$C$5

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: multiplication problem (Excel 2007)

Post by Rudi »

My first impression was that your Calculation Mode is set to Manual (Formulas ribbon > Calculation Options)
However, if you say that other formulas are updating, then that cannot be the case.

Humour me and just check the setting anyways...and confirm. (It should be set to Automatic).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

I'd bet you have a circular reference somewhere.
Regards,
Rory

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Rudi wrote:My first impression was that your Calculation Mode is set to Manual (Formulas ribbon > Calculation Options)
However, if you say that other formulas are updating, then that cannot be the case.

Humour me and just check the setting anyways...and confirm. (It should be set to Automatic).
Hi Rudi

Mm, it was set to manual, I am not sure how that could have happened because I always have it on auto and other formulas in the WB and WS work OK (before and after changing it from manual to auto)

Thanks for that

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm surprised that it was that!
I was gunning for rory's informed advice!

Since Calculation Mode is a global setting, it can affect subsequent workbooks that you open if the first workbook that you open is set as Manual. For a very informative article about how Excel's calculation mode is affected, see this...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.