Conditional formatting in Excel 2010

dmcnab
3StarLounger

Conditional formatting in Excel 2010

Post by dmcnab »

Hi all...my recollection is that in earlier versions of Excel, you could not use a conditional formatting formula on Sheet1 that referred to a different worksheet...and if you tried to compose such a formula and use it in CF, you got a message telling you so.....in Excel 2010, it seems that you can compose a CF formula on one sheet, and even if it refers to a different sheet, it still accepts the formula. Am I correct? My problem is this:

I have data on Sheet1 (that is produced by a formula on that sheet). On Sheet2, I have a formula that 'copies' the data from Sheet1 to Sheet2. I have composed a CF formula on Sheet2 that says: [if AF12 (of Sheet2]=Sheet1!AF12 then the data on Sheet2 displays a strikethrough font.....the formula is 'accepted' when I enter it into the CF manager, but the formatting doesn't get applied....(and everything is formatted as General -- I tired Text but it made no difference)........any ideas? Thanks

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Conditional formatting in Excel 2010

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

You are correct. CF has been upgraded to evaluate conditions across worksheets. A welcome addition.
Here is a rudimentary workbook sample that demonstrates the conditional formatting...
Note: Important to ensure that your absolute/relative references are defined correctly in the CF rule.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dmcnab
3StarLounger

Re: Conditional formatting in Excel 2010

Post by dmcnab »

Thank you...I think that was exactly the problem....