DSN / Connection string for Oracle database access

syswizard
4StarLounger

DSN / Connection string for Oracle database access

Post by syswizard »

I get confused about establishing an ODBC or OLE DB connection to a foreign data source.
First I must have the necessary drivers installed, right ? These originate from the host package...in this case the Oracle client, right ?
Once I do that, I need to create a USER or SYSTEM DSN......or can I just patch the connection string and credentials into the Connection property of the connecton within Excel ?
I've always been confused on the best way to handle this. In a multiple developer environment, it would seem stupid for me for everyone to create their own DSN and then have to change all of them when any data source changes are made.

HansV
Administrator

Re: DSN / Connection string for Oracle database access

Post by HansV »

I prefer to work with DSN-less connections. Assembling the connection string in VBA isn't that hard.
The Connection Strings Reference has examples of connection strings for all kinds of data sources.
Best wishes,
Hans

syswizard
4StarLounger

Post by syswizard »

Hans - Thanks for that reminder about the DSN vs. DSN-less technique.....now it's coming back to me.

However, in the case of Oracle specifically, isn't there a "native" ODBC driver they provide as part of their client installation vs. the one that Microsoft supplies as part of the Office installation ? I believe one should use the Oracle-supplied driver....no ?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft will phase out its ODBC driver for Oracle, it recommends using the driver provided by Oracle.
From ODBC Driver for Oracle:
This feature will be removed in a future version of Windows. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. Instead, use the ODBC driver provided by Oracle.
Best wishes,
Hans

syswizard
4StarLounger

Post by syswizard »

Thanks Hans....but how to distinguish between the two ?
Also, to get the connection string specific to the Oracle ODBC driver, isn't it best just to set-up the DSN one-time and then use the connection attributes that are exposed when the connection is completed ?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that's a valid way of obtaining a connection string!
Best wishes,
Hans