MAximum size for excel file.

vilas desai
3StarLounger

MAximum size for excel file.

Post by vilas desai »

Dear Sirs

What could be the maximum size that an excel 2007, 2010, 2013 file can handle without slowing for a 8 GB RAM computer with 520 GB HDD?
Currently my file size is 8.5 Mb and when I try attaching it to am email, shows a virus. I used several virus cleaning tools, but none showed any virus. I tried sending the file on GMail account but Gmail security detected a virus. To save this file on my HDD, it takes about 6 seconds. Is this not too long? Can someone help me on this please?

Regards
Vilas Desai

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: MAximum size for excel file.

Post by Rudi »

8.5MB's is a small file and Excel can handle far bigger files than that. Likewise, your PC can handle far bigger file sizes too. Whatever issue you are experiencing is not because of Excel or your PC. Try zipping the file before sending it. Use an archiver like 7-Zip to compact it and then email it. Excel files are usually bloated because it retains the position of the last used cell. If you delete all rows and columns below and to the right of your last cell of data, then save the file, it will reset the last used cell and your workbook will be smaller in size.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Accrding to Excel specifications and limits:
32-bit environment is subject to 2 gigabytes (GB) of virtual address space, shared by Excel, the workbook, and add-ins that run in the same process. A data model’s share of the address space might run up to 500 – 700 megabytes (MB), but could be less if other data models and add-ins are loaded.
So there is no fixed limit, but 8.5 MB is far below the maximum size.
I'm not really surprised that saving your workbook takes a few seconds.
You might zip the workbook before sending it.
Best wishes,
Hans

vilas desai
3StarLounger

Post by vilas desai »

Dear Rudi and Hans,

Thank you for your details. However, I would yet like to know what is considered a large excel file? How will the Process time be affected say for 4GB for 64 bit ?

Best regards
Vilas Desai

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That will depend on the complexity of the workbook, on the number of other processes running on your computer, on the speed of your hard disk, etc. In general. 4 GB memory should be sufficient unless you have a (very) large number of programs running simultaneously.

If I start Excel 2013 by itself, it uses 22 to 30 MB of memory (it varies from time to time).
If I open the workbook that you sent me from Windows Explorer, Excel uses 82 to 90 MB of memory.
So your workbook uses some 60 MB. That's not much compared to 4 GB available memory, so it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Best wishes,
Hans

vilas desai
3StarLounger

Post by vilas desai »

Thank you Sir, so I am pretty sure now that my memory specs are good.