need help to balance my worksheet

yang2
NewLounger

need help to balance my worksheet

Post by yang2 »

Hi, each month I have this long worksheet, that has debit and credit, also daily balance. I have to manually match up the transactions (debit and credit) to see how much has been offset within the month. Can someone help me with it- some formula or macros to match the numbers?
Problems is debit and balance are not in same day, also not all reference are matching up.
Also, I would like to separate debit, credit and running balance into three different columns, will Marco work for this?

Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: need help to balance my worksheet

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

On which fields (columns) do you want to match the transactions (apart from the +/- amount of course)?
Best wishes,
Hans

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

Thanks for the quick reply Hans.
Not sure if I can explain it clearly. This is a running daily sales and receivable. For example: first line $17.14, it is a debit, then there is -17.14 later to offset it. When the transaction is posted close to each other, I can match up easily, but often I need to scroll down many lines to find the offset transaction (either debit or credit). I need t rely on the reference to match up. But I don't always have perfection reference match.

I also ant to split the amount volume into to columns, one is the positive number, the other NE is the negative number.

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

I guess apart from the +/- to match up, I have to make sure the match is correctly applied. If happens they are several 25 dollars debit, and 25dollas credit, I then use reference volume to check if my pair matching is correct.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which column represents reference volume?
Best wishes,
Hans

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

Column H information is the reference I us to match up each lines. For example, line 8 and line 9, both columns have 030603. That means these two transaction offset each other. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See if the attached version goes in the right direction. I used formulas in columns J:L to split the data. There is a macro to populate column M with numbers that indicate which rows match.

You'll have to enable macros - the workbook is now a .xlsm.
9991 account balance the book.xlsm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

Woo, you are so cool! Definitely the right direction. However, i am on the other side of your world. I don't even know how to enable the macro. Please advise.
I saved the file as xlsm file, still i am not able to go into the macro to see the details.

To make it simple, I am not splitting the column I into debit and credit column any more. I only want a macro to populate Column M or another column with numbers that indicate which rows match. Can you please help me with that. I want to step into the macros and copy paste the macro and paste into a new worksheet each month? so i can run the macro. at the end of each month, i will have all data, then it will have more lines to match/offset.

this is first time, i use this lounge. so impressed. Many thanks expert Hans.

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

Hans, i got the marco enabled. Now it worked. I got it worked to fit my need. I think I am good for now.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The thread need help to balance a long spreadsheet in the Windows Secrets Lounge is related to this thread. A different approach was suggested there.
Best wishes,
Hans

yang2
NewLounger

Post by yang2 »

Yes, that's me too. I posted same question into that site as well. I was given these two sites years ago by one of my instructors, so first time i asked question, i posted into both. So impressived that both sites have so many active members who are incredibally knowledgable, and helpful. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're very welcome!
Best wishes,
Hans