Importing into excel

Jeanette
StarLounger

Importing into excel

Post by Jeanette »

Hi there
Not too sure is this is the correct forum, but the problem I have is as follows.
I've been asked to update a Google Contacts database. I mean we are talking hundreds of names and addresses.

When I did about 20 I had a try and imported them into excel. This needs to be done because we need to extract info and to do mail merges.

Most to my amazement, from the 20 I tried, about 15 show. Its just no there. I added the names in again, put in (my) email address (some of them only had phone numbers) but some of them just don't show.

Anybody had this issue as well, before I continue I better have it sorted otherwise its a waste of them

Thanks
Jeanette

HansV
Administrator

Re: Importing into excel

Post by HansV »

I tried exporting my Gmail contacts to .csv (I assume that's what you did). Although all contacts were exported, some didn't have their display name, first name and last name. Even after re-entering the names they remained blank in the export. It didn't matter whether I chose Google csv or Outlook csv.
I can't find anything relevant about this problem in Google...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I don't have many contacts listed in Google Contacts (Gmail Contacts), but the test exports I did completed without errors or missing data. Half the contacts only had an email address, but in checking the actual contact details in Gmail there was no additional details. I also tested adding name details to a few contacts and upon re-export, the names were successfully added to the new csv. I exclusively used Outlook CSV.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Jeanette
StarLounger

Post by Jeanette »

Thanks for the replies. When I add new contacts they show up fine, but its the imported ones that give me grief. I just have to delete them and start again. I searched the net for hours and had a small hope you guys might have known :) Anyway as my day is just starting I better make the most of it
Thanks anyway
Cheers
Jeanette

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just keep the coffee pot nearby.
Good luck :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.