Power Query Load Options

Rudi
gamma jay

Power Query Load Options

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I cannot seem to find confirming details of this on the net, so I'd like to bounce it off anyone with better experience on these Excel add-ins.

Although one can set the default load behaviour for Power Query, you can also control individual query load options after you have opened a data source. If you right click the source from the Navigator window, you can choose Load To… which will present you with the dialog image below.

It presents 3 locations or combinations of load options:
Is my analysis correct regarding the options in the dialog?
I am particularly interested in the Connection Only option which as mentioned below, I assume is simply for temporary manipulation.
Please confirm...TX.

• Select Table --To load to the worksheet (either a new sheet or and existing sheet)
• Select Only Create Connection -- This only preserves the source temporarily. Sometimes it is not necessary to load a source if it is simply needed to combine to another source, or to be used to merge into another table.
• Select Table AND check Data Model -- This loads onto the sheet and saves to the data Model memory
• Select Only Create Connection AND check Data Model -- This loads (and saves) it only to the Data Model (into reserved memory instead of writing it to the sheet). Very useful for large volumes of data and much more efficient.
Load To.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

rory
5StarLounger

Re: Power Query Load Options

Post by rory »

That's correct. You can use data sources as lookup tables etc. to create your final query output for a table or the data model, with no need to actually load those sources into the model or a worksheet.
Regards,
Rory

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for confirming.
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

syswizard
4StarLounger

Post by syswizard »

data Model memory
Where is this exactly ?
On the workstation ?
In the source database ?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

syswizard wrote:
data Model memory
Where is this exactly ?
On the workstation ?
In the source database ?
This should explain it...
...and some...
Additional details....
Regards,
Rudi