Cursor Movement Control in Excel 2010

BobH
UraniumLounger

Cursor Movement Control in Excel 2010

Post by BobH »

I continue to struggle with the ribbon and the missing Menu row. In the old days I could control how the cursor moved when I pressed Enter. I think it was under Tools > Options. Now I can find nothing that allows me to do this.

I need to make a list of blood pressure and pulse rate data by date and time. I started by making column headings for Date, Time, Systolic, Diastolic, Pulse Rate. The problem is that on pressing Enter the cursor moves to the next row in the same column.

Is there a way to control this in Excel 2010 without writing a VBA routine or recording a macro?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Cursor Movement Control in Excel 2010

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

There is no need for a macro.
To move the cursor down, press Enter (as you know)
To move the cursor to the right, press Tab
To move the cursor up, press Shift+Enter
To move the cursor left, press Shift+Tab

If you want to fix it to always move in a specific direction, do the following:
1. Click the File Tab and choose Options
2. In the dialog, select the Advanced button (on the left)
3. Under Editing Options, use the drop down to select the direction to move when you press Enter.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Cursor Movement Control in Excel 2010

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Rudi!

I have not yet got the location of options from the ribbon ingrained in my feeble brain. I wanted to have the cursor move right, to the next column, while remaining in the row. Your instructions showed me just how to do that. :salute:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs