False duplicates - Excel 2007

dasadler
5StarLounger

False duplicates - Excel 2007

Post by dasadler »

I have the worksheet and I was entering data when, all of a sudden a msg pops up saying duplicate (see below). I am not using data validation as there will be duplicates and there is no VBA module checking for duplicates. I close and reopen Excel and have the same issue. It seems to be only one cell as I can enter data into surrounding cells without problem.

Any idea what causes this and how to stop it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: False duplicates - Excel 2007

Post by HansV »

Could you attach a copy of the worksheet? You can remove or clear everything else from the copy.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Sure - here it is the bad cell is H371
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's data validation alright - it applies to H365:H397. Did you copy other cells into this range?
S0856.png
Anyway, if you select H365:H397, click Data Validation on the Data tab of the ribbon, then Clear All, you should be able to enter data normally again.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks a lot. I have certainly copied and pasted from another worksheet where I did have such data validation. I did not know that the data validation comes with the cell when copied/pasted. In any case, I thought I always did a paste value... that would not copy data validation, would it?
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Something else... the Duplicate msg would pop up regardless of what I entered in the cell so there were actually no duplicates. What did that msg appear?
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I thought I always did a paste value... that would not copy data validation, would it?
You are correct, if you paste values it will not paste the validation. You were probably distracted when you pasted at that moment.
...the Duplicate msg would pop up regardless of what I entered in the cell so there were actually no duplicates. What did that msg appear?
The SUMPRODUCT formula you have in the Validation dialog was probably checking for duplicates across multiple columns; Col B, Col J, etc... If you just typed content down the Col B, that would not constitute a duplicate at that point since it evaluates a duplicate to be TRUE only if all column values (B, J, etc) in that row match all column values (B, J, etc) in another row.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.