Org Chart - show larger picture

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Org Chart - show larger picture

Post by MelanieB »

I am making an org chart and I am including pictures of the employees. These are small pictures so they will fit in the layout. How can I make it so someone can hover over a picture and have an enlarged picture dispaly?

I'm using Excel 2013

HansV
Administrator

Re: Org Chart - show larger picture

Post by HansV »

I don't know if Excel 2013 has better support for this; I can't find any way to do what you want in Excel 2010. SmartArt objects don't expose any events that you can use, as far as I can tell...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I doubt 2013 is any better. Excel is not really the best application to use re. org charts...!

I've always though that comments could be used to display pictures in a worksheet since they are stored in the comment in a cell and do not skew the sheet structure to accommodate the image. Of course, if someone hovers over the cell, the comment pops up and the picture will be displayed.

Is your org chart designed from cells, or is it shapes that are floating on the sheet?

There is nothing native to Excel that can show an enlargement of an image when you hover over it. It would take a bit of complex event driven coding to accomplish something like this (AFAIK).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Thanks for the replies. I don't like Excel for this either, so I managed to convince my coworker to go a different route. Thank you!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That is probably a good decision based on the functionality you required.
For simple org charts in any of the Office apps, one can use SmartArt which does a fair job of it, though it is a dumbed down feature and not useful if you need many custom tweaks on the chart. Another fairly forgotten feature is the MS OrgChart Add-in, that you can get access to from the Insert Objects ribbon command. Note that is needs to be activated in Office using the Add/Remove options under the Office Installer. The add-in id more flexible than the SmartArt option. For complex org charts, one will need to use MS Visio which is a powerhouse for any diagrams and organigrams.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.