Macro security warning

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Macro security warning

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have an unusual situation I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on
I have an xlsm workbook that works great on my end, but I have another user that seems to be having a problem with running the macros. The first thing we did was set macro settings (excel 2007) to enable, checked box “trust access to the vba”, then went to trusted locations and added file on desktop. Since the user has Office 2007 we tried to download service pack 3, but for some reason it will not complete download.

Here’s what happens when the workbook is first downloaded onto the users desktop and then opened for the first time. The workbook opens to a userform as it should, then the user starts a new report (workbook), everything seems to function great, all vba works great, but once the workbook is closed and reopened the user receives a macro security message and the new report and newly downloaded workbook both become unusable. Now if the user deletes the existing workbooks and then re-downloads workbook once again, it does the same thing all over

HansV
Administrator

Re: Macro security warning

Post by HansV »

Let the user do the following after downloading the workbook but before opening it for the first time:
- Right-click the workbook icon on the desktop.
- Select Properties from the context menu.
- If the Properties dialog contains an Unblock button, click that.
- Click OK.
FileUnblock.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

On the properties there was no option to unblock. The user did mention that there is a “!” on the workbook icon

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The ! means that it is a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm); the screenshot I posted shows the icon for a standard workbook (.xlsx).

Does it make a difference if the user downloads the workbook to another folder (for example My Documents), makes that folder a trusted location for Excel and then opens the workbook?
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I tried something similar, I had user select their desktop and all sub folder to trusted location then tried, again no success. As before the workbooks first opens great, it just seems to stop operating once reopened. The user did mention that there was not an error message.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

The user is going to re-install Office and see if that helps

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Update; The problem has been corrected. It seems that the users lacked a Windows 7 update. Once the updated was installed everything worked great. :clapping:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Good to hear that is is resolved...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.