Page X of Y in Excel 10

jlkirk
2StarLounger

Page X of Y in Excel 10

Post by jlkirk »

I posted this on Woody's, but haven't gottewn the response I am looking for. I have a worksheet in Excel 10 that is made up of 5 pages. In the cell located at Row 3, Column M, Page 1 I currently have the text "Page 1 of ___", and have Excel repeating Rows 1-5 of Page 1 on each subsequent page. What I would like is to have Excel insert Page 1 of the total number of pages on page 1 (since the number may change, page 2 of the same, etc., throughout the whole of the worksheet, instead of my doing it manually.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Page X of Y in Excel 10

Post by HansV »

I don't understand your question. If you set rows 1 to 5 to repeat on each page, you'll get the fixed text from cell M3 on each printed page. If you do it this way, you can't get "Page 2 of 5" printed on the second page - cell M3 will still contain "Page 1 of 5".

It would be possible, but very tedious, to populated cells down the worksheet with "Page 2 of 5", "Page 3 of 5" etc. But apart from being a lot of work, it would be very vulnerable - if you edit the worksheet, the cells with the page numbers could easily end up in the wrong place.

As was pointed out in the Windows Secrets Lounge (formerly Woody's Lounge), using the page header is MUCH easier - Excel will do all the hard work for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

As Hans mentions...and in the event you do not know the feature...
You can create this in the header footer feature of Excel's page setup.
2014-03-20_18h17_14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Post by sdckapr »

Cross-posted (see note about cross-posting at http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on the page http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... age-X-of-Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There is a function and named formula posted on that page.

Steve

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK...having seen the other post, I see that my answer is not relevant. :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Post by sdckapr »

I think it is relevant to the question posed (and was a similar response to the original posting). And while the answer is not the technique that the OP wanted, I think your answer is a better solution to the problem and a better means of putting page numbers on the sheets.

Steve